Carpenters Arms, Shoreditch

Our rating: FAP Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (7 reviews)
When the Carpenters Arms closed a few years ago, we naturally expected conversion into flats awaited it. So you can imagine our excitement to discover back in the Autumn of 2007 that it had reopened. If nothing else, it's a little piece of East End pub history; many pubs in the area lay claim to associations with the Kray twins (some more tenuous than others), but the Carpenters was apparently owned by them and run by their dear old Mum. So, what's it like now? In a word: 'nice' (or if you want two: 'very nice'). Not the largest of places, there's been a tasteful, comfortable pub refurb with an attractive bar area, photos of the local area dotted around and a pretty, small back garden. You'll find it a pleasantly busy pub with a nice mix of customers and impeccable service. There's always an excellent choice of drink, too - three ales on tap, an above average selection of lager and some nice bottled choices from around the world. There's a lot to choose from and it's all good quality. We have nothing but positive things to say about spending time here - we wonder if Mrs Kray would have agreed?
10 Jan 2014
One of my favourite pubs in London.
Attractive, cosy pub with a great selection of drinks. The atmosphere is usually nice and the bar staff friendly. As with mosst of this area, the history is pretty fascinating too. A real gem!
16 Feb 2012
Well attended pub despite being a little hidden away down a back street,its well worth seeking out, a pub with a good buzz about it and decent beer to be had, three hand pumps and an extensive range of bottled beers from around the globe. My pint of Adnams Oyster Stout last saturday was excellent.A top pub.
10 Aug 2011
This is one of my favourite pubs in London let alone this particular area where it really stands out. Cosy but not oppressive atmosphere, friendly staff, you can hear yourself think, great selection of interesting drinks. It feels like a discovery, especially in trendy brick lane. (re the first reviewers comments: I dont think it's fair to mark a pub with 1 pint when you didnt even stay for a drink. I've never found the staff anything but charming and accommodating.)
28 Oct 2009
Firstly, public lavs are as rare as ligneous equine faeces here in the EastEnd, so if you need to use a pub loo, have the courtesy to tell the barstaff first, otherwise they will rightly assume that you are taking undue advantage of their lavatorial facilities.

Secondly, it's a great pub with an excellent selection of ciders, real ales and above all Belgian beers, the latter being a relative rarity once you get past Drury Lane and out east. I haven't eaten there yet but plan to do so one day. It attracts a lively and mixed crowd, specially on Sundays, when the street markets are in full swing and there's a fruit-salad of colourful characters milling around. I tried the place one Friday and had to leave after standing in a dog-leg corridor with a toilet one side and a public payphone the other. I might as well have camped out on the white line down the centre of Oxford St. that night.

Otherwise, the staff are friendly enough and the place is always very clean and light, which makes a change around these sombre parts. It's slightly up-market by EastEnd standards, but that means you don't get puddles of sticky beer on the floortiles and no loud drunks. A nice change from the pubs on the Bethnal Green Rd.
18 Apr 2009
As my moniker suggests, I am a mystery shopper conducting customer service evaluations for clients. Our 'welcome' @ The Carpenters Arms this afternoon consisted of a stream of verbal abuse from a close cropped male from behind the safety of the bar. Such was the ferocity of his tirade that my accompanying daughter promptly burst into tears. Our 'crime'? To have the audacity to use the ladies lavatory prior to asking for a bar menu or drink.

Hardly the warm East End welcome we had been expecting and little wonder that the bar was deserted apart from two elderly gentlemen on a fine and sunny Spring afternoon, when the place could have been buzzing with people eating, drinking and filling the till. However, with the aggressive and unwarranted bar staff on patrol I cannot see this happening.

Needless to say, we did not buy a drink, nor order a meal and my report detailing our shocking and distressing experience will be forwarded to the client.
14 Mar 2009
Dropped into this pub the other day and found it very pleasant; friendly bar staff and customers and good beer. A tight fit, though, as it was so busy.

73 Cheshire Street, Shoreditch, London, E2 6EG