George Hotel, Ashford

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Apparently Ashford's oldest inn, being in the region of 500 years old (at least according to the official web site), the George Hotel is a handsome building slap bang in the town centre. The web site also proclaims that "it has been suggested that the amazing oak beams which form the structure of this traditional coach house are from and (sic) old broken ship". Self-publicity aside, this is an elegant place - albeit we found it in a state of transition (it's recently been refurbished). Taking our seats in the side dining room due to having a young child in our party, we found the service to be very polite and accommodating. However, to our disappointment the one real ale on tap (the Old Dairy Brewery's "Red Top") was at the end of the barrel and despite the landlady's kind offer of a free pint of the stuff, she failed to bring this over once the barrel had been changed. Overall, we suspect this is at least three-pinter, but we caught it in a bit of a chaotic state. Nevertheless, we are advised that it is a welcome alternative to some of the rougher town centre pubs nearby, and the food comes recommended as well. Note that it opens early in the week for breakfast, although it closes at 4pm on a Sunday.
09 Sep 2011
Four of us visited Ashford recently and stayed at the George. I can't really praise it enough, from arrival to departure, we were all made to feel most welcome, from a guy on the bar (Ian I think his name was, to the lovely lady who served breakfast) Many thanks! I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I was in the area. In fact, Ashford in general we found to be nice and friendly town ... although Sunday is so quiet you may wish to avoid it if you're looking for any life around town.
09 Sep 2011

68 High Street, Ashford, Ashford, Kent, TN24 8TB
01233 625512
Opening times
Mon-Thu 09:00-22:30
Fri-Sat 09:00-01:00
Sun 11:00-16:00
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.