Blackboys Inn, Blackboys

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
Blackboys Inn is a well known pub in these parts, it's been a favourite for people out on a Sunday run to admire the East Sussex countryside for years. It's a traditional-looking country pub (apparently dating from the 14th Century), complete with duck pond and olde-worlde decor, and fits in well in these parts. Following a change of management a few years' ago, which brought about much-needed improvements, the pub has now settled down to become a reliable spot for decent ale and decent food. It's a Harvey's pub, so naturally the beers are excellent and there's also a reasonable wine list and a lot of locally-sourced food (the pub has its own vegetable garden). There's a huge a mount of outside space around the pub, which, in summer is often used for weddings and other functions and also proves very popular with families. We've had variable reports about the service but we had not complaints on our last visit, finding it to be prompt, friendly and polite. If we have any complaints, they're directed more at the clientele, in particular the parents who let their little darlings run riot all over the place whilst they quaff their pints and spritzers. However, when the main bar is not a nursery, Blackboys Inn is a jolly nice place for a pint or two and a natter, especially when there's a few inches of snow on the ground.
16 Oct 2012
wonderful pub great staff and EXCELLENT service we ate here last fri night with a party of 12 and we were looked after impecably. I can highly reccomend our blackboys experience
24 Jul 2012
ATTENDED FAMILY WEDDING HERE ON FRIDAY 20TH JULY, 2012.
THE STAFF WENT BEYOND THEIR CALL OF DUTY TO ASSIST EVERYBODYS NEEDS. NOBODY HAD A BAD WORD TO SAY ABOUT IT. THE FOOD WAS LOVELY, TASTY AND VERY HOT. THE STAFF WERE VERY ATTENTIVE AND COULD NOT HAVE DONE MORE. DEFINITELY A PLACE TO TRY. CEREMONY ROOM, PUB AREAS, GARDENS AND TOILETS ALL VERY CLEAN. A++++. WISHING YOU EVERY SUCCESS WITH YOUR BUSINESS IN THE FUTURE. GOOD LUCK.
21 Jun 2010
Stressful‎ - ‎ - Today

Chose to have Sunday lunch at the Blackboys for my daughter's 19th birthday today. Booked a table for 4 in advance so were disappointed to be seated at a small table that would only sit 2 comfortably right by the gangway for the waiting staff who were hurrying back and forth beside and behind us for the entire time. Added to this was a large family party with 3 tables joned together on the other side of us. We could hardly hear each other on our cramped table with all the noise around. I ordered the splendid crab salad which came with a finger bowl but with all the meals plus this and the side dishes there was not enough room on the table so we had to pile side dishes etc on top of each other. The waitress took the bread away before we had finished, one of the side orders was forgotten and then the waitress returned to clear up before I had finished eating. She said I must have finished as my knife and fork had been placed together! Fankly there was not enough room to offer the conventional signal of having them at an angle either side of the plate. All this conspired to ruin my enjoyment of what may well have been a jolly good meal.

When the big party left it became quieter and I hoped we could at least have dessert, coffee and liquers in a more relaxed atmosphere. The waitress assured me that the tables would not be moved around until we had finished eating. No sooner had she said this than somebody else started dragging the tables around and sweeping tables in such a way that my blood pressure went through the roof. The waitress who had given the assurance said, 'I can't help it if we have to set up for other customers!' Feeling that we were more of an inconvenience than welcome guests, I told my husband to forget about my dessert as it was too noisy and that I would sit outside and wait for them.

The waitress asked my husband why I had gone causing further embarrassment so that my daughter left in tears and my husband asking for the bill before any dessert was ordered.

I do not understand why we were not offered a suitable table when there were others vacant. We were quite put off asking when another customer got a frankly abrupt to the point of rudeness response from the woman behind the bar when he asked for a table.

This lack of customer care is unforgiveable. It will take a change of management before we spend our money at the Blackboys again.
15 Nov 2008
My first visit and my last. The prawn and salmon starter was all mixed up in a runny tarte sauce but where was the salmon?It certainly wasn't in my dish. My main corse of liver and bacon looked unappetising and was bland. Even the onions had no taste! How did 'chef'manage that? Three of our party had steak, most of my husband's ended up in a tissue because he couldn't chew it.They run out of plaice so one person had to choose something else. Then came the desserts. After choosing from the menu we sat there for about 20 minutes before the desserts arrived but not all of them. We were then told after waiting so long we had to wait even longer because the crumbles were still cooking. So if you are thinking of eating here, don't, give it a wide berth, the chef needs another year or so at college.

Lewes Road, Blackboys, Blackboys, East Sussex, TN22 5LG

Quiz night

Claimed by
Landlord information

Overview

A beatutiful 14th Century Inn.  Lovely gardens and traditional food.  We took over in October 2011 and have seen a big change over the last year.  Please do come in and enjoy a pint of Harveys Best.

Detailed Description

Beautiful 14th Century Inn with traditional cosy restaurant and bars complete with open fires.

Huge range of home cooked food from the Sussex Smokie to Beef Wellington.  Something for eveyone.

Large Venue Room for hire for Wedding Ceremonies, Birthdays, Family Get Togethers or any celebration.  Exclusive use.

Stunning all year round, and the grounds are a wonderful addition for al fresco dining in the warmer months.