The Broadway Hotel, Broadway

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
Broadway Village - not to be confused with the upstart theatreland across the pond - is the archetypal Cotswold village, with it's long, broad high street lined with immaculate Tudor, Stuart and Georgian houses built from honey-coloured Cotswold stone, it's the tourist ideal of an English idyll. Naturally, a place as old and traditional as this has its fair share of pubs and inns and amongst them, down at the bottom of the hill, lies the Broadway Hotel. Here, resident and non-resident drinkers gather in the tiny Jockey Club bar, in a small corner room at the front of the hotel, to enjoy well-kept ales, a bit of banter and some traditional pub grub. The walls and ceilings of the bar are adorned with a wealth of racing-related memorabilia, which, we guess, gives the bar its name (rather than it being room best suited to jockeys). Off season it's a relaxed place, the locals are friendly, chatty bunch and conversation is soon started with the few tourists that have braved the British weather. Summer will see the place much busier, but thankfully, there's a large beer garden to cope with the crowds, although we're not sure where everyone will shelter when the weather becomes inclement. The Broadway Hotel is a good place in which to base a tour of the Cotswolds, but even if you're not in a touring frame of mind, it's still worth popping in for a pint and a natter.
19 May 2014
Rude, snotty and dishonest service. Was told they don't serve portions of chips on their own with drinks; my husband then went back in because I'd forgotten a drink...only to hear the same barmaid who'd just told me they didn't do this, selling the next woman in the queue...a portion of chips to go with her drinks. The same barmaid was rude and snotty generally.

The drinks were ok, but no ice or lemon offered or served with soft drinks; no tray or assistance offered despite ordering about 10 drinks; when I politely asked for a tray, the barmaid sneered as though I'd asked for the moon on a stick, before eventually producing one.

The food was over-priced and poor quality - my 'hot buttered crumpets' were served stone cold - hard to spread butter on a cold crumpet! - wouldn't have thought it was so difficult to get that right... The ice cream cost £7, for which I would have expected a pretty top-notch affair; instead, it was small and nothing special. We wanted a sandwich but passed as even the most basic one cost over £7 - a bit of a rip-off, given the low quality of the food here and the range of reasonably-priced alternatives all along the high street.

I've given it 1 star for the convenient location and nice lad who took away the plates. But really would not recommend it or return.

The Green, Broadway, Broadway, Worcestershire, WR12 7AA