The Dog & Partridge, Bury St. Edmunds

Our rating: FAP Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
As the nearest pub to the Greene King brewing complex, and with the attached accommodation seemingly located in the old brewmaster's home (all rooms with free WiFi connectivity), one imagines that the Dog & Partridge is something of a showpiece for the company. Given the unpopularity with which they have been regarded of late in some beer-buff circles, we are pleased to report that indeed, it succeeds in showing Greene King at their best. It's a lovely, well-maintained, gently sprawling pub, with several rooms, each of which has its own distinct atmosphere, so that pool-players or football-watchers will not disturb those out for a quiet sip, friendly staff, a food menu, and a great drinking area in two courtyards at the back. The range of beers is less impressive than you might expect, and contained nothing out of the ordinary on our visit, but this is a relatively small quibble, as the Dog & Partridge offers top quality hospitality.
23 Jul 2012
Popped into the Dog and Partridge for a meal before the Abbeyfest concert this weekend. Had a lovely meal.My wife had Duck breast in noodles and I had a T-Bone steak, it was cooked perfectly , very enjoyable. The best part of this pub are the staff, friendly , attentive and cheerful. Great visit. 10/10
15 Jun 2011
Rude staff and appalling food. Ordered steak ciabata for my daughter and wife and fish and chips for me. Steak had to be cut using a knife and fork and was full of gristle. Fish and chips served on wooden board so got cold very quickly, chips overcooked. Staff unwilling to take drinks orders at table so food got colder whilst getting more drinks. Suggested to manager about taking drinks orders at tables. "We don't do that", my response "that's why I am suggesting it". His response, "didn't you hear me, we don't do that" When asked if the food was OK, said it wasn't, in fact it was poor, and waitress said, "Oh thats good then"! If you have lasted this long - then don't go anywhere near this place. No wonder UK has a bad reputation for service - Appalling!

29 Crown Street, Bury St. Edmunds, Bury St. Edmunds, IP33 1QU