The Lady Luck, Canterbury

Our rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (9 reviews)
07 Sep 2011
its great to see that Canterbury has a decent alternative pub at last! not a watered down attempt to please the majority like some previous pubs in the city! excellent food, excellent choice of booze for all. friendly helpful staff and a lovely little garden to relax in if the weathers nice. what more could you ask for?? brilliant!
06 Sep 2011
one of the friendliest pubs i've ever been in. the staff are amazing bubbly people who are always up for a chat if the bar isn't packed and when it is they work tirelessly trying to keep queues to a minimum because it is just that popular. the music selection on the jukebox is fantastic espicially if you fancy a change from what most pubs have to offer. the back room is also good, gives you more of a chance to sit down or to play pool its the latest closing pub in canterbury so you have plenty of time to drink and socialize.
05 Sep 2011
Absolutely fantastic atmosphere and people. It's been my favorite place to spend time since i first stepped into it three years ago. The food is great and the jukebox always has good music. The decor is fun and they have local paintings up for sale. They have a large numbers of theme nights and they're always a blast.

I've never had a bad time in the Lady Luck. In short, the Luck is incredible and i recommend it to anyone and everyone.
05 Sep 2011
Great selection of Ciders, lagers and ales. Every spirit you can think of as well as a delicious selections of Dark/spiced rums. Very active with themed social events, pirate nights, quiz nights, even sunday afternoon often has something going on. Staff are very friendly and give great service, often having a chat as I wait for my eternally late friend. The food I have tried was delicious and everything else on the menu sounds equally as good. With tables both out front on the high street and in the garden, the Lady Luck is one of the few pubs that is both successful at lunch and in the evening.
05 Sep 2011
Whenever I walk into the Lady Luck, there is always a warm atmosphere to welcome me. The staff are friendly and knowledgable, offering recommendations on food and drink. There is a fantastic choice of drinks, including a selection of specialist rums, and cocktails.
The food is of excellent quality, and freshly made to order. With a wide selection, it caters to all tastes, including vegetarians. Also, the menu is constantly updated with exciting new dishes to try.
There are constantly theme nights arranged, ranging from Pirate Nights, to Rockabilly Nights, to 90's Nights, so there is something for everyone. Also, they hold social afternoons, including stalls, cakes, and a book club.
I personally would recommend the Lady Luck to anyone and everyone. With such a wide variety of drinks, food, and events, you'd be hard pushed to not find something to enjoy there!
05 Sep 2011
An absolutely fantastic pub. The staff are always friendly, the jukebox is loaded with a wide variety of alternative music and the decor is great.

Themed nights are fairly regular and prizes are often awarded for best dressed, which is always a bonus! Pub quiz every Sunday as well which is always good for a laugh (even better when your team wins and picks the money envelope!). The first Sunday of every month is well worth a visit with a stich 'n' bitch group, book club, a variety of stalls selling clothing, cakes, jewellery and more, and children are welcomed in the pub every day of the week until the evening when it becomes adults only.

Drink prices are reasonable, considering the fact Canterbury isn't the cheapest of places, and the food is fantastic with vegetarian options available and you know the food is cooked fresh to order which makes for a healthy and tasty meal.

Without a doubt the Lady Luck is the best pub in Canterbury (in my opinion, and for all the other regulars). It's a place where you are always made to feel welcome and the atmosphere is incredible.
05 Sep 2011
The Luck is what I would call my "local" from September until June. The staff are generally friendly, and the people are nice enough with the exception of a few local vagrants. The drink prices are pretty high, which is off-putting, making it a place I normally only go to after going elsewhere. However, if you're going through Canterbury as a tourist or staying as a student, you'll regret not stopping by and spending a night with The Lady Luck's colourful patrons.
05 Sep 2011
The pub is warm and friendly and welcoming for all who may enter. In the daytime they are fast service and provide perfectly for myself and my daughter (who haunts the pub once a week for lunch) They are kind to her, and accepting of her age and behaviour even when she tries to get in their way or might be without her usual good moods. The food is so much nicer than most pub food, all prepared by experienced staff who will personally deliver the meals and attend to any needs you might have, and double checking that everything is ok at the end.

The staff are brilliant when it comes to service, the pub is known well by the alternative community in the area, however this does not faze in their appearance and they are still always well dressed and presented and very friendly.

In the evenings the pub can get very busy but you wont wait longer than at any pub, the toilets are kept clean, the drinks fresh, and if an incident may occur with someone's behaviour the staff are helpful and assist calmly and quietly to any problems.

The overall standard of the pub is perfected, and the owners of the pub clearly spend a lot of time coming up with new ideas and events to keep us all happy, including quiz, themed nights and days, a regular Sunday social featuring stalls and alike, as well as book clubs and more. I couldn't recommend another pub more.
05 Sep 2011
Pros: 1.Good location
2.Decoration
3.Variety of drinks
4.Pool table
5.Open till late

Cons: 1.Customer service isn't great. Staff are generally very unfriendly (except for one person) and their attitude can usually make you feel guilty for going in instead of feeling welcomed.
2.The place is tiny so on a busy night you have to be prepared to spend most of the time queuing for a drink or toilet.
3.The area in the back (with the pool table) is very dark and either always freezing cold either boiling hot. I've personally been close to passing out because of the heat. I spoke to a member of the staff and they didn't seem bothered about it and walked off so I had to leave my just bought drink and the pub.
4. The distance between the pool table and the walls. You must be a yoga practitioner to be able to play normally.
5. Burning hot water in the ladies toilet so you have to be insanely fast if you'd like to do something as simple as washing your hands. And men's toilet... I don't even want to start on that.

18 St Peters Street, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 2BQ