Ship Inn, Downham Market

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
The Ship Inn is a pleasant traditional pub located right on the border between Cambridgeshire and Norfolk. It also boasts a location right on the apex where the Little and Great Ouse rivers meet. Consequently, the views from the beer garden are quite excellent, even if the rumble of traffic from the nearby A10 slightly took the shine off things. Inside there are a number of distinct areas, ranging from the bland dining room extension, to the cosy sunken lounge area, which felt rather 1970's, but in a good way. Our midweek afternoon visit saw it naturally quiet, but there was a regular stream of visitors, either stopping off from driving, or arriving from the canal boats moored up nearby. There's a pretty good choice of ale on, while the food was perfectly acceptable but standard pub grub. Overall, worth a visit if you're in the area and don't forget to say hello to the chubby pub cat.
28 Apr 2013
Visited for a Sunday evening meal. Food delicious, with a wide range of gluten-free options. Friendly service. Quiet ambience particularly appreciated by my wife with her hearing aids.
28 Apr 2013
Visited for a Sunday evening meal. Food very good, including gluten-free options for many items. Friendly service. Quiet ambience much appreciated by my wife with her hearing aids.
26 Sep 2012
Very good menu and good size portions - settled on a lovely steak and kidney pudding (couldn't help myself!). Several different areas to sit in within the pub from informal to formal and a good choice of beers to go with the food. The day I was in there was Black Sheep, Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge and a guest summer ale. I am told Adnams is soon to make an appearance. Recommended by locals and turned out to be a good choice.
17 Sep 2012
After a long drive and feeling tired and hungry, my wife and I pulled into the Ship for a meal and a drink. It was 19:30 and I asked the barman if he had a table for two. He consulted with someone who looked to be the catering manager and said 'certainly sir'. I ordered my drinks and sat down to look at the menu. After 10 minutes, the 'catering manager' came over and informed us that:'We are busy and if you want food, there will be an indefinite wait. I was livid because I had ordered drinks and would not have done so if they at told me they were busy in the first place. We would have driven off to find and alternative. We finished our drinks and went home in disgust. The Ship is my local and I will NEVER go there again.

Brandon Creek, Downham Market, Downham Market, Norfolk, PE38 0PP
Opening times
12.00 - 23.00 7 days a week.
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

BBQ
Beer festival

Claimed by
Landlord information

Overview

Mark and Keith Thomas invite you to share in their passion for locally sourced, freshly cooked, naturaly Gluten Free Food & Drink. In the relaxed waterside surroundings of The Greast and Little Ouse.

Detailed Description

The Ship Inn at Brandon Creek is a 17th Century Pub on the Great Ouse. This Grade II listed property sitting in a striking location – on a promontory where the Great Ouse River is met by the Little Ouse. Our Pub on the Great Ouse is easily accessible from the passing A10 – which runs north to Downham Market and Kings Lynn and south to Littleport and Cambridge.

With a wealth of history to experience and superb views from the riverside, the Ship Inn is a great venue with a warm welcome from all the staff. Run by son and father, Mark and Keith Thomas, who have lots of experience of the licensed and catering trades, the pub can cater for lunches, dinners and small private functions. They will be building on the already excellent reputation for food and good beer which draws people back again and again.

The property divides into 3 main parts – depending on what you are looking for from your visit.

The Bar: In the centre of the pub, as you would expect, is the bar area where you can enjoy a few drinks and be served bar meals

The Snug: A cosy space on your left as you enter – the snug is an informal area where you can sit around the fireplace and enjoy a drink and a chat

The Restaurant: Overlooking the 2 rivers the restaurant can sit up to 32 people and serves both lunch and dinner menus. If you would like to book the restaurant for a private function please give us a call

In addition to the pub itself, we also have the Patio and Riverside Garden, where you can sit and enjoy the sun and the views as river life passes you by.

Come and visit our Pub on the Great Ouse and we’ll make you very welcome.

Documents