Tollemache Arms, Harrington

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
The exterior of the Tollemache Arms is a picture perfect snapshot of what a village pub a should look like - thatched roof, tiny windows and a well kept country garden. Indeed, the front garden is a lovely place to spend the afternoon. Inside, though, hasn't fared quite as well, with an odd mix of the old and the new. As such, you'll find exposed beams (some fake) and stonework partially covered by heavy contemporary plasterwork. In the bar, a massive inglenook fireplace has an electric wood-effect fire plonked in it - not quite a 1970s two bar fire with orange light bulbs inside it, but still not good. In an attempt to be subtly upmarket, a job lot of hotel-style furniture has been liberally scattered about. Despite these negatives, it is a nice place. The locals were a friendly bunch, the service efficient and the Charles Wells beers well kept. On the food front, the restaurant is a separate room from the bar area, but meal-sized snacks are served everywhere and were pretty good too. So not quite the five pint experience it looks like it might be from the front, but still good enough.
14 Oct 2011
If I were to ask: "how do you like your chips" would you say soggy, swimming in oil and limp? Or light and crisp?

My choice would be the latter. But when I received my order, all £3.00 worth, it was absolutely the former. Inedible, so an absolute waste of money, and the reaction from the landlord? "We don't do crisp chips".

It's not difficult to do something right, particularly something as simple as good old chips. But if you really can't be gracious about it then at least offer me a refund.

Not a case of the customer is always right!

High Street, Harrington, Harrington, Northamptonshire, NN6 9NU