The Original Oak, Headingley

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
The Original Oak in Headingley awaiting image
Many of Headingley's pubs and bars cater for the sizeable student population, and the Original Oak is certainly one of the most popular with them and other locals. This cavernous venue, an institution in these parts, has a multitude of rooms and several bars -- all of which are chock-a-block on the weekend. Rather than being unpleasant, the volume of people helps create a lively atmosphere and somehow the bar queues never seem to be excessive. The Oak's capacity is further increased when the weather allows use of the substantial beer garden, which we believe was a bowling green in a past life. Another change in the outside space came about in the last century when the 1,500- year-old oak tree, after which the pub is named, collapsed. Lovers of real ale may be disappointed and the bouncers can be overzealous when kicking out at closing time, but it's still a top spot for watching sport or a big night out.
31 Aug 2010
Never warmed to the Original Oak myself, was a regular in 1997/98 when a housemate of mine worked there. The quality of beer is the main issue I have with it but on a Friday night in early Autumn the place is a nightmare.

If it wasn't for the beer garden (which I can confirm was a bowling green until Summer 1997) I'd advise avoiding it like the plague.

2 Otley Road, Headingley, Headingley, LS6 2DG