Blue Anchor, Helston

Our rating: FAP Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (1 review)
So - I'm going to have to admit at the outset that this is The Greatest Pub of All Time...in my opinion. It's one of those indefinable things - why do you get a sudden rush and butterflies when you come across a gem? I have been in love with the Blue Anchor for some time now - not just because Spingo as a range of ales goes from 'blinding' to 'superb' and not just because of the history associated with the pub, but because it has character in spades and a kind of laissez faire attitude that infects the customers and staff alike and makes for a rare "experience" that cannot be matched by many places.
My first visit and the barman suggest that I go easy on the Spingo since "You're not from round here are you..?" and after a few pints I hear beautiful choral singing. So thinking I've died and gone to heaven was amazed to find that there was a wake next door and I was duly invited in for a farewell drink. Now this doesn't happen often and kind of cements the attachment to a time and place that perhaps only happens with pubs. Maybe with football grounds? Theatres? No. Just pubs.
You absolutely HAVE to go and see this pub in action and fingers crossed before someone makes stupidly huge offer for the building and does something horrible with it.
Ask to go on the brewery tour and you'll see how Heath Robinson would have brewed too!

50 Coinagehall Street, Helston, Helston, Cornwall, TR13 8EL