Anchor & Hope, Charlton

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (8 reviews)
The Anchor and Hope has a slightly odd location in Charlton, just off Anchor and Hope Lane, home to Tavern Snacks, near a host of aggregate factories and on the Thames Path. The location is industrial yet at the same time relatively quiet and pleasant. It's had another makeover and lost the restaurant and bar upstairs. There's a separate dining area to one side of the bar and a tiny stage/performing area in one corner, and little to offer the real ale drinker. But to be honest, this is a pub you come to for the outside views from the terrace, more than anything, with views of the Dome and Canary Wharf down the river. It's almost easy to imagine you're actually slightly further west in trendier Greenwich. The menu ranges from Mexican to Thai, Indian to Italian to trad pubbe grubbe, so most diners should be able to find something, although we can't comment on how well executed these international dishes are. A fairly local pub, it's definitely worth a visit for the view, particularly on warm summer evenings.
27 Oct 2013
The drink is as rotten as the bar tenders feet, and I hope you like your food frozen.
27 Oct 2013
The drink is rotten like the bar tenders feet
22 Sep 2013
A truly exceptional Sunday roast and a right hidden gem of a pub. I'd give my right arm to learn how they get their roast potatoes so crispy. Wonderful food that won't put a dent in the wallet, some of the friendliest staff you could hope for, and a lovely, cosy ambience. I'm glad it's not the easiest to find as I think I'd find it hard to share this place if it was universally known!
22 Sep 2013
12 Aug 2012
This pub is a hidden gem; staff friendly and helpful, food is homemade and extremely good value for money, parking is free and safe and the icing on the cake is that it is situated next to the Thames with outside seating.
29 Apr 2010
My buttocks pulsed with excitment when being in there on charlton matchday ,.The roar of the crowd shouting RED ARMY!!! Fat doughy blokes talking crap and acting up,some not able to see there bits since 78
16 Aug 2009
A gorgeous little pub, friendly, with great views of the river and wide variety of live music. Amazing loos as well actually!!

2 Riverside Walk, Charlton, London, SE7 7SS