Bar Social (ex The Key), Clapham Junction

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (7 reviews)
This is technically a cocktail bar, but since they also serve pints we're happy to be able to include Bar Social on Fancyapint. Initially it looks rather small, but with the inclusion of a dark, laid back basement and a great mezzanine floor overlooking the high road, its deceptively spacious. The cocktail list is impressive and is reasonably priced. The young midweek crowd were as relaxed as the tunes, but we imagine it picks up the pace towards the weekend. Along with the very different Project Orange on the other side of Clapham Junction, Bar Social is one of the better places in this area.
05 Aug 2009
Went to Clapham Junction last night on a recon mission to find the most appropriate bar to go on Friday night with friends over from Ireland. I had a shortlist of 6 bars and I expected great things from Bar Social. I wasn’t disappointed.

The first thing that struck me was how beautifully decorated the place is. The bar looms like an alter of golden kitsch, with excitingly glittering mirror balls, and lots of nice looking underlit bottles to a thirsty drinker.

Marco, the extremely friendly bar manager introduced himself and gave us free Ferrero Roches with our beer (unheard of in London!). The seating was stylish and comfortable and downstairs was more of the same: flock wallpaper, gold, suede and mirrors. Good cheesy 80s music delivered through tasteful, stylish white speakers. Everything feels brand new and cared for. It feels more like a bar you’d stumble into somewhere on holiday in the Med, and get pissed on free shots of Metaxa with the bar manager (and I mean that as a compliment!)

The drinks were the steepest of the four bars we ordered in (£7 something for a lager and a whisky/soda), but I have to say I really really liked this place and I know it will appeal to the trendier element of our Friday group.

It’s between this and Project Orange!
08 Nov 2008
Yesterday was a damp and miserable night so decided to just go to my local bar. I tend to go there often but never bothered to put a review on any site of the place. So it’s about time I got round to it as the place is really nice.

The décor is rather eclectic and it surprisingly works really well, gives it a cosy and friendly ambience earlier in the evening and a livelier more vibrant one later on.

They have a great array of drinks and I like to try different ones most evenings, so far not had to have same one twice as the drink list and cocktails is very extensive. The staff are great too, always welcoming and willing to make you feel welcome.

You should come down and try it, bet you also become a regular
31 Oct 2008
I wanted to give my girlfriend a nice evening and had been to this bar before & always had a good time. So offered to take her out, we went to the social.

As usual we had a great time,. I had lager and she had cocktails, both of which they have a great selection of. The atmosphere was nice & chilled music not too loud so I could still hear our conversations, though have to say I loved the music, was varied from retro to cheesy pop to indie. The staff were great, they have the right balance of attentivness without being in your face.

So another gfeat night was had & the girlfriend had a good time too, all sorted,
21 Oct 2008
Wow what a great venue, huge list of cocktials and beers to choose from and at reasonable prices, staff were very polite and freindly, nice decor and music too. I would definately recommend this bar and will be heading back again myself soon.
16 Oct 2008
me n me mates went down to bar social for a good drink up the other night. we had neva been ther b4 n didnt kno wot to xpect, wow wot a graet surprise, had a fab time.

they got enuff drinks to satisfy all my friends, the bar man is cute too, lots of smiles n talkin. they had a casino nite n it was well good, won a bit too, better thebn lottery.

have 2 say its a lovly bar n we will b goin again v soon, all shouold go giv it a try, xcellent.
11 Oct 2008
A few friends & I went to a little known bar caled bar social last night to celebrate a friends new job. The venue was very well laid out (we had hired the basement) and service was next to none, the bar team couldnt help anymore if they tried, and were friendly, even when the bvar was jam packed.

The atmosphere was very vibrant with a good mix of music to please all tastes.

All in all I would highly recommend this

254 Lavender Hill, Clapham Junction, London, SW11 1JW