Bavarian Beerhouse, Old Street

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
Forget 'Fancy a pint?' (or even 'Stellen Sie sich einen Pint vor?'), this one's more 'Fancy a litre?', as it serves up the German beers in those huge glasses. It also keeps with the theme by making the waitresses don the dirndls (though oddly enough, the chaps aren't in lederhosen) and keep the decor simple with long benches and tables. It's a new recruit to the Old Street drinking circuit and will no doubt prove popular with City folks looking for something a bit different. We have to say though, that we weren't totally convinced on our visit. Sure, the beer tasted good (and stretched beyond Erdinger and Paulaner) but we felt we were being overcharged for the pleasure. The food was OK to us but the German group next to us seemed distinctly unimpressed. And whilst drinking wine here is no doubt frowned upon, just offering on the menu bottles of red and white for 19.50 just doesn't cut it. As for the music booming out from the PA system... Well, let's just say it made DJ Otzi seem the height of sophistication (was that really a cover of 'Agadoo' that we heard?). One probably best enjoyed in a large group, but not one we were totally won over by.
05 Jan 2011
The Bavarian Beerhouse is a great place to have a few beers and lots of fun! A few friends and I tried the typical German sausages with mash potatoes and sauerkraut and of course the german beer! The food and the service was verry good! Later on the waitresses were singing and dancing with us it was a great night!!!
25 Oct 2010
I had a great time with my friends at the Bavarian Beerhouse! I am actually German and invited a few friends to go to the Beerhouse and celebrate the Oktoberfest there because I couldn’t go to Munich. It was great fun!! There was live music on the night and we had a few beers and food as well. My English friends and I loved it!! We were welcomed very friendly and were taken to our table. Our waitress Paula was fantastic - she delt with all our enquiries! Thanks for that!! We will definitely go there again!
09 Mar 2009
A group of friends and I went to the Beerhouse last year in August. We were given the wrong kitchen times which resulted in costly cabs and running around trying to book an alternative at 10pm - not to mention the embarrassment. Suffice to say we were not amused and asked for a reduction in the rediculously expensive bill handed to us. A stand-off followed resulting in the police being called as we were rounded up like criminals.

The customer service was not good at all - a little understanding and a token £20 off the £200 bill (not to mention the additional £70 cab fare) would have gone a long way.

Relating to the food - the only food we had were a couple of snack starters - which were dire. Drinks over priced. Service poor. All in all a very bad experience - akin to stories of dodgy bars in Soho.

Stay well away.
03 Sep 2008
This is a wonderful place. Had a work night out with some colleagues and it was great fun. We loved the atmosphere!

190 City Road, Old Street, London, EC1V 2QH