Beacon, Bromley

Our rating: FAP Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
The Beacon is a fairly rough-and-ready place on a '70s estate in Hayes, on the way to Bromley. It is very much of its time: too old to seem modern, too young to be austere. There are in fact two bars, but sadly the saloon bar appears to be condemned these days. There is a spacious garden which, with a little more effort, could be quite something. It already has flower beds and shrubs and is in reasonable upkeep. The beer isn't anything special - Fosters, John Smiths, and nothing in the way of real ale. They really ought to replace the television, too, which splutters and flickers like some of the smokers at the back door. It's not intimidating like some pubs on estates can be, but it's far from charming either. It's the nearest pub to Bromley FC's Hayes Lane ground (albeit a fifteen-minute walk) but we consider the social club at the ground to be a better bet. We don't have anything against the Beacon, but it's no more than a high one-pinter.
27 May 2010
I also agree with the landlady, before she took it over the atmosphere was very much non existant and now is back to the way we all enjoy.

I will miss the Beacon when it closes, so thanks Punch for lining your pockets before thinking about your customers. I hope the landlady finds somewhere local.

RIP Beacon
25 May 2010
I have just read the review on The Beacon pub. I have drank in this pub for the last 10 years, worked here for around 4 years and after being out of the area for a year i am proud to say i have been the Landlady since 4th june 2009. The Beacon is very special to the people who drink there, it is very much a community pub where everybody looks out for each other and are willing to lend a hand when needed. I have received tremendous support from everyone and would like to take this chance to say thank you. We now have both bars open, a gardener who comes in once a week and sky sports/espn which can be watched on a 50 inch flat screen tv. We may not have a vast menu but we do offer bar snacks and the regulars even bought me a pie machine ready for the world cup. Sadly the pub has been sold and will be closed in 4 weeks. It will be greatly missed and the end of a great era. Maybe the critic of the previous comment should come back for e review before its to late.

18 Farleigh Avenue, West Wickham, London, BR2 7PP
Opening times
Mon-Sat 11:00-23:00
Sun 12:00-22:30
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.