BRB at the Gate, Wood Green

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (6 reviews)
The usual bar room bar ethic is in place - wood fired pizzas, DJs at weekends - though when we looked in the clientele was fairly mixed for such a youth orientated brand. The hollowed out Victorian pub still has some old-style partitions in place though we weren't sure if they were an original feature or not. Service was friendly and the place had a more welcoming air to it than the pubs of nearby Wood Green. Handy for a snifter before (or after) a bracing stroll to Alexandra Palace.
09 Mar 2014
Was a really nice pub, redecorated last year, nice lighting, atmosphere and great jukebox. The staff were attentive and always cleaning and clearing glasses. Unfortunately a new manageress has taken over the last few months,empty glasses and plates litter the place, you can wait an age to be served, horrible main bright lights are constantly on and it's devoid of any atmosphere. A real shame, was my local for 10 years, but if the management plainly don't care then a pub loses it's enjoyment.
28 Feb 2013
pizzas are great, looks smarter for a coat of paint recently. staff really friendly and great atmosphere
05 Jun 2010
Unfortunately The Gate has taken a turn for the worse recently, after a couple of years of vast improvement.

The pizzas used to be excellent, but are now mediocre at best, and the addition of the other stuff on the menu can only dilute the quality.

The manager appears to spend most of her time stood outside smoking and seems indifferent to the lack of quality inside. She doesn't take too kindly to anything she perceives as criticism either.

The shouty local drunks don't help, and are effectively driving away some of the regular once a week custom.

It's a shame; this could be a great pub and it's being neglected.

Try the Victoria Stakes instead, customers are respected their.
26 Apr 2010
Been going to this pub at lunch for a while as it's one of the nicer pubs in the Wood Green area and does a OK pizza. Unfortunately they have added burgers on to the menu at 5 quid a throw for something that makes a rustler microwave burger look good. Plus halving a cherry tomato for the salad in the burger just mean. Stop embarrasing yourself and just stick to pizza's!
12 Feb 2010
I went into this pub for the first time in years to watch a football match on Sunday afternoon. Guess what? I got short changed to the tune of three quid by the barmaid on my first drink. Funnily enough, the reason I'd stopped going in there years ago was because I kept getting, er, short changed by the barmaids. Coincidence? You tell me...

Station Road, Wood Green, London, N22 7SS