Bull & Last, Tufnell Park

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
The Bull and Last is situated in a bit of a quietly prosperous no-mans land, north of Kentish Town, south of Highgate. Still, its proximity to Parliament Hill means it's worth a popping on for a post-stroll pint. Although, if given the choice, we'd rather walk a little further to the Dartmouth Arms. Visits are typified by a general lack of good grace and manners - from the barman who just about managed to greet us with a "yeah?", to the group of scrabble players who blocked the pathway to the toilets, being just two examples. The decor is fine; it was once an ornate Victorian boozer, but we know it was eviscerated a fair few years ago now and is nowadays pretty stripped out. This isn't necessarily a problem, but the mass of young flatsharers and spoilt teenagers with a propensity to add the word "like" every third word were so loud - and the wooden furniture so unable to absorb their din - that staying indoors verged on stressful. It's a shame because we might have otherwise been tempted by the Wood Pigeon (priced at 13.50) while we enjoyed our Hook Norton ale. Still it's a perpetually popular pub so they must be doing something right, however it's just not our favourite place in NW5.
24 Oct 2011
I went here last week (mid week). I previously have only ever been in midweek for lunch. As always I was really happy with the greeting and the food was really good (very highly priced in my opinion for a pub but ALMOST can get away with it). I was however really disappointed with one thing.... I had a Chote de beof (£62 with sides ordered separately - to put it into context I also had it in a Michelin star restaurant recently for £70 so I do think it is on the pricey side). Anyway it was nice but we were put on one of their really small tables obviously for drinkers and the food and drink wouldn't fit on the bar. We had to put things on the bar and floor just to eat. They shouldnt have diners on those tables charging those prices and they didnt even seem to notice the fail in anyway, we were left to sort it out. Had this not happened I would have probably rated at about a 4 or 5 to be fair.
22 Dec 2009
We popped into the Bull & Last for Sunday lunch last week and were treated to an absolute feast! Seriously, they do everything right here - from the high quality local products they use, to the ingenious menu offerings, to the amazing service. We started with the most heavenly scotch egg that could ever be. Then had a full-on gorgeous roast of beef with all the goodies. Yorkies were stunning and the gravy rich and flavorful, and the beef nicely rare-ish. And dessert was another triumph. Warm boozy eccles cakes served with Shropshire blue and a little glass of mulled wine! Do try this place, its a slice of heaven. Booking advised!

168 Highgate Road, Tufnell Park, London, NW5 1QS