Cask Pub and Kitchen, Pimlico

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (7 reviews)
This poor pub has had a chequered past with numerous changes of management and decoration in recent years. However, a friendly husband and wife team took over in the Autumn of 2009 and elevated this into a place worth seeking out. Their selling point - as testified by the name - is quality beer. There's usually four or five on the hand pulls, with a particular liking for some excellent Dark Star and Thornbridge brews - take a look at their collection of pump labels to see what we mean. Behind the bar is also an enormous selection of Belgian and German bottled beers; the smoked Bamberg Rauchbier comes recommended. The exterior - set into a 70s council block - is so incongruous against the backdrop of nearby Georgian houses that it looks as if it was picked up off a street corner in SE2 and left here by mistake. However, inside the decor is muted - heated bench seating is enlivened by numerous cushions with plenty of seating. There's a wide mix of customers - older locals sampling the Belgian brews, plus the after work crowd, tourists and a regular stream of CAMRA members; it is usually pretty busy these days. Overall Cask is a good alternative to some of the other places in the area. And now they've got a sister pub in Clerkenwell, if you've not been yet - the Craft Beer Co. - it's worth a look.
15 Nov 2011
Excellent selection of well kept beers (the best we had on the day), and the food was very nice (roasts and some interesting starters), and good value (we thought) at 15 quid for 2 courses. It is missing that little something that turns it into a five pinter, but definitely one I will return to again and again.
06 Dec 2010
Tremendous selection of beer, nice ambiance, but truly dire food: they need to do something with the kitchen, or just stick to the beer. Charging gastropub prices for watery sauces and undercooked mains is not really on.
30 Jun 2010
Using Fancy a Pint on the iPhone, went to this pub - magic!

Great selection of beer, got handed a "book of beer"!

English, Belgium, German and no doubt more to boot. On this day, a rare hot'n sunny one, a cool icey wheet beer revitalized the spirit but easily succombed to the temptation of another beer! Unfortunately we where three that had evenings to attend to. I'll be giong back for sure!

This is a speciality beer pub - try it, it's cool!
05 Mar 2010
Went to the Cask Pub & Kitchen last night for some drinks and food and was really impressed. They had an amazing lager called Moravka, which the landlord told me is brewed by one man in the UK to a Czech recipe. It was easily the best pint I have had this year, if you like lager try this as it is not bland like most of the mainstream lagers. The food was excellent too, and the atmosphere relaxed in this surprisingly large pub with plenty of tables. I will be going back often as I can walk there from my flat. More Moravka please.
17 Feb 2010
What an improvement - this place is great! lovely open room with good food - and a beer selection unrivalled by most other pubs in london. i had a lovely pint of brewer's gold, and sampled several of the others that they had on tap when i visited - the staff are very helpful and more than happy for you to sample the beer on offer. fantastic selection of beers, both from the uk and abroad. well worth repeated visits.
10 Aug 2009
Gave Cask Kitchen & Pub a try with a friend for Sunday lunch & we weren't disappointed; fantastic selection of beers, with a beer on handpump from the Dark Star brewery on offer at all times. We arrived to finish off the last few pints of their American Pale Ale, which was followed by the Sunburst. Both spot on. The APA won a Gold at the GBBF earlier in the week, & you can see why.

Roast organic rib of beef for me, & roast chicken for my friend, both well cooked & presented, & very tasty.

The decor inside is relaxing, with it's TARDIS-like interior, & the table service is a nice touch.

Martin, the landlord, was very friendly, knows his onions & has clearly put a great deal of love & passion into the place, which has paid off.

So if you want to drink great beers, eat good food & do so in a relaxing environment, as well as be looked after by people who care about what they do then this is the place for you.

A gem of a place, & my only regret is that I live in Tooting, but then probably for the best really, as I would be in here every day otherwise...

The thing with all great places like Cask Pub & Kitchen is use them or lose them, & this month-old business needs our support.

Highly recommended.