Castle, Harrow

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
A most agreeable watering-hole, and one well in keeping with the village atmosphere (in the pre-estate-agent abuse of the word) of Harrow-on-the-Hill. There are two, fairly spartan, bars, with newspapers provided, as well a dark and elegant room, intended primarily, but not exclusively, for diners. There are fine real ales (often including a guest ale as well as several of Fuller's own), and a respectable selection of bottled beers too. The internal fittings are real period pieces, mainly, we think, from the 1930s, too, making this a most atmospheric boozer. The bar staff are friendly, as are the regulars. The outdoor drinking area, which climbs the hill, must be one of the best beer gardens in Greater London. All in all, the Castle is a sound local, and well worth making a trip to visit.
30 Jun 2010
I went recently with my wife and two close friends who were returning to live in Australia and so the afternoon was important to us all.

The food was overpriced though acceptable. The beer was far too expensive @ £3.30 a pint of Fullers. Worse, the bar was filthy with old J Cloths lying about. Staff were bored almost to the point of being sullen. Not a great experience. Maybe the dirty bar and sullen 'schoolboys' were a one off but I'll only give it one more try. Shame, because I could walk to the pub from my house. But if they cannot bother, why should I?
14 Sep 2009
One of Britain's best pubs. Excellent, superbly kept ales.....as the reviewer says, featuring Fullers regular ales plus occasional guests such as the magnificent HSB.

The food is consistently good too, but i lament the passing of the steak and chips. Not sure why they stopped doing this but i wish they'd bring it back! It has a curry night on Wednesday and i URGE people to try this. There's usually four to choose from and they include Malaysian chicken curry, a lovely Sri Lankan lamb curry and there's always a vegetarian option.

In summer the beer garden is out of this world. If it wasn't on the flightpath of Northolt aerodrome it'd be absolutely perfect, but even the rare jet roaring in at about 200ft doesn't deter from this absolute gem of a pub.

30 West Street, Harrow, London, HA1 3EF