CHARLOTTE DESPARD, london

Our rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (1 review)
10 Jul 2013
I would have given this a Terrible rating but the pub itself is lovely and the choice of ale is good, however the thought of going there whilst that owner and, a very particularly rude (short and chubby) bar lady are still there is sickening. About a year ago, I went into the Charlotte Despard with a couple of mates and immediately put some music on at the jukebox. I waited an hour and still my music hadn't come up but other people who put music on after me had their music come up before mine(its happened before at other pubs and get kind responses usually they would have a look at it or on a kind jesture putting the music on manually). Anyway, we were told to drink up it's closing time (no problem there) but I whought I'd tell the bar lady (mentioned earlier in this review) I kindly told her "my music hadn't come up maybe you could have a look at it". In not a pleasant attitude went "oh it's not problem if it doesn't work it doesn't work", and I go " well if it doesn't work it shouldn't be open to the public to use, and if your going to use that tone with me, then I think I'd like my pound back". After an argument about this with a woman who has no manners. I left.

I had returned to the pub thinking nothing of it, as you would from a silly little spat like that, and to my shock was faced with the owner of the pub, straight away forcing me to leave after asking the same bar lady I had met previously "this is the guy who was rude to you?" "yes it is" she said. He shouted get "GET OUT!!! I don't want people like you in my pub"... He didn't even give me the chance to talk. Thats right that owner only takes the work from his workers and no one else. I think that is childish and very unprofessional.

I never did tell anyone about that, mainly because, as a CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) member, i would be visiting the pub again with other CAMRA members. This is what we did last night (which triggered me to write this review). Upon arrival of the pub, I had ordered drinks through a very happy bar man and asked if they still have the 20% CAMRA discount he didn't know and asked the very same owner that chucked me out 5 months ago. he wasn't very happy to see me and was told in a very unpleasant way "NO WE DON'T AND EVEN IF THERE WAS YOU WOULD NEVER GET,I'm gonna let you stay though because your CAMRA friends are with". I thought " you still mad with?? I'm afraid you were not even there when that spat happened and you didn't even let say my side of the story". My mother was with me and witnessed that and got very upset. That wasn't the end though and the same bar lady (who I've never seen a smile from) came over to me and said "you are very lucky your aloud to stay here" I say "well excuse me I was omnly trying to be helpful and you were very arrogant, you didn't need to be like that" and I thought very sensibly to drink up and walk out after the words from her mouth "no I think you were the one who was rude and not me, I think you just have bad manners".

To conclude this essay, if you ever find yourself in there just do what you're told because just not worth it. What a lovely pub it is its just a shame its run by a childish, ignorant and downright arrogant owner (who claims he does not drink alcohol). I do not want to contribute revenue to people like that.

17-19 ARCHWAY ROAD, LONDON, N19 3TX

Wine tasting

Claimed by
Landlord information

Overview

Hi, and welcome to The Charlotte Despard.
We pride ourselves on being a relaxed and friendly place, with a nice and eclectic clientele. We're the place to come for great beer, tasty snacks, good conversation and funky music, and we hope that we have something to offer everyone.
We've always got a range of papers for your perusal and use - We also have a Pool Table and Dart Board too.
We've got some pretty funky decor and interesting pictures and bits and bobs and we're open til 1am. There are lots of spacious wooden tables and seating, as well as some very comfortable sofas for just hanging out and putting your feet up.
So if you find yourself in Highgate or Archway, and you're looking for a good time in a relaxed environment, with friendly, interesting people and no hassle, you know where to come.

Detailed Description

About Our Real Ales (CamRA LocAle)
Archway Rd, London, N19 3TX : 0207-272-7872 : bar@thecharlottedespard.co.uk
All our ales are chosen on locality, quality and service from the brewers. Great guys, with great beer.

Brewerys
Ales that we stock - on rotation
Sambrooks Wandle, Junction, Pale Ale
Redemption Trinity, Pale, Hopspur, Rock the Kasbek, Big Chief
London Fields Shoreditch Triangle, Hackney Hopster, Love Not War
E.L.B. Pale ale, Jamboree, Nightwatchman, Orchid
Guests As we find

What is CAMRA LocAle?
CAMRA LocAle is an initiative that promotes pubs stocking locally brewed real ale. The scheme builds on a growing consumer demand for quality local produce and an increased awareness of 'green' issues. Everyone benefits from local pubs stocking locally-brewed real ale...
Public houses as stocking local real ales can increase pub visits
Consumers who enjoy greater beer diversity Local brewers who gain from increased sales
The local economy because more money is spent and retained locally
The environment due to fewer 'beer miles' resulting in less road congestion and pollution
Tourism due to an increased sense of local identity and pride - let's celebrate what makes our locality different.
For the London scheme, we define a local brewery as one that is within thirty miles of a pub's front door. The actual beer and brewery can change; it does not have to be the same beer all the time, which enables a pub to rotate a local beer, should they so wish. Greater London has a growing number of small breweries: Brodies, Meantime, Sambrook's and Twickenham, plus the much bigger Fuller, Smith & Turner and a now more independant brewers like Redemption & The East London Brewing Company. Hopefully the scheme will encourage more.