Cock & Lion, Marylebone

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Nestling parallel to Oxford Street, this pleasant little place offers refuge from the horrors of consumerism lurking just down the road, and a lovely pint to be getting on with. There are three beers on usually, with one of those a guest. The pub has regular sports coverage, which means it sometimes it can get packed - it depends on what's on. Of course, now that the smoking ban is biting hard, there are tables on the pavement which, unfortunately, are the only outside bits available to this pub, and not very nice in the rain. The former games room upstairs has gone, converted into a proper restaurant now, with no sign of the pool table. The menu is mostly proper pub food, not necessarily a bad thing. The staff are genial as always and still able to pull a pint and they're happy to leave you be to finish your pint in peace. An oasis in a shopping desert.
28 Sep 2012
Visited the pub last night for maybe the 3rd or 4th time - everything initially went smoothly enjoying a couple of glasses of red with friends. Not exactly friendly service from the bairmaids but no big deal. THe 3rd glass of the same wine tasted very different and although I wouldn't put myself in the camp of wine connoisseur, I certainly know enough to identify when its not right. I took the full glass back to the bar whereby the barmaid referred to the landlady whom suggested it was fine and not to change it. I then spoke to the land lady and I explained it was the 3rd glass of the same wine... to which she replied..the first two must have affected my palette !! When I asked her to try again she suggested she didn't like red wine but had a refined palette to judge it was good and didn't wish to sample any more. Needless to say such a scenario has never happened to me before anywhere in the world.. i ended up buying another drink and needless to say i'll never venture back to the same bar again... like the other commentators this bar was okay but i was shocked at the way I was treated - especially by the land lady !! Beware !!
Reviews (0) Invites (2)
20 Jan 2012
It's OK. The beer was OK, food was OK, TV wasn't too distracting which was OK, staff were OK. I just think the pub is lacking something...personality? Handy heated smoking area outside for those needing it.
Couldn't fault it too much on anything but this wasn't a memorable visit.

62 Wigmore Street, Marylebone, London, W1U 2SB