Compton Arms, Highbury

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (6 reviews)
For a long time, we've had the impression that the Compton Arms likes to think is somewhere out in the wilds of Surrey or Sussex and come to that, the locals seem to, too. But that's OK with us. The Compton certainly does look after its beer really well, with an extensive and ever-changing range of bitters on the hand pumps ready for your delectation. But you need to get in early, it is a tiny place that fills up very, very easily, although the street outside and the compact beer garden at the back do help to cope with the overflow. To complement the excellent beer, there's decent traditional pub grub - with Sunday roasts a speciality. With friendly service and a broad mix of punters, The Compton Arms offers the sort of traditional pub atmosphere you won't find on the nearby Upper Street and that's probably why it's so popular. The Compton Arms is very fine place indeed.
29 May 2013
Unimpressed by the place on a first visit last night, but perhaps will give it the benefit of the doubt. There was an overwhelming and nauseating smell of bleach suffusing the entire small room; I asked the barman what was going on? He said that the dishwasher had been cleaned out that morning, but do you put bleach in a dishwasher? Also, the smell was even stronger near / in the loo, so I'm suspicious about the dishwasher story. Had to retreat to the grubby "beer garden" at the rear to be able to breathe without feeling sick/dizzy. Even though the garden was empty, the ashtrays were overflowing. The whole place just seemed a bit uncared for. On the plus side, there were 4 or 5 ales on draught and the pint of Abbott I had was very quaffable. They have to sort out that smell though, it is a visceral repellent to a longer visit.
23 Oct 2012
Staff-wise, this place has gone to the dogs. I think the brewery use this Pub as a training ground for inept bar-staff.
It took a while to get served as the barmaid was busy yapping to her mate on the other side of the bar. The Governor came out from the back, saw me standing there, Tenner in hand, and then nudged the barmaid before retreating out of sight.
With that, the long-faced barmaid came over, unhappy that her chat had been interrupted.
Asking which ales were available, the stroppy bird behind the ramp said nothing and spread her hand out in the direction of the taps at the other end of the bar. Marvellous!
Then the price came up: £3.75 for an ale!
I decided against a packet of crisps as I didn't want to get ripped off for those as well.
It's a shame as up until 2 years ago The Compton had a fantastic, cosy atmosphere, with excellent, attentive staff.
04 Feb 2012
Greatly improved after a change of management in 2011. The guest ales are back, as are the local characters. A good pint of Titanic, and a strange pint of Umbel, a new one on me. The country look remains, with tempting food and a friendly atmosphere.
23 Oct 2010
I went thee yesterday and was very disappointed. 3 ales on, 2 were Greene King and 1 St Austell and very expensively priced. It felt more like an estate pub with Sky sports news on the TV. I also feel that the interior is very tired and smelt musty. I think that it deserves a 3 pint rating, not a 4
22 Oct 2010
Tipped off by Nick Revell.Tucked away, it does have a village pub feel, compact and cosy. Thursday night, with football on a big screen at one side, all the tables full with a mixed age range.Spoke to the landlord who was pleased at Nick`s recommendation and explained that he`d been there about 7 months. Good range of real ales, so went for one of my favourites, Abbot Ale.Well kept.Wish I was "local", but will revisit when next in The Smoke.

4 Compton Avenue, Highbury, London, N1 2XD