Dog & Duck, Soho

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
The Dog and Duck is a tiny, popular pub with a very well preserved ornate Victorian interior and it's well worth a visit at quiet times (mid-afternoon) to have a shufty. (Most of the time the place is pretty crowded, so it's hard to view the decor.) The beer's good - it is a Nicholson's after all - with a good range of well-kept ales on the hand pumps and there's a pretty decent wine list. There's food too with the sausage sarnies particularly recommended. The crowds are generally convivial, adding to the atmosphere, and if it gets too much for you, there's a little relief if you pop upstairs to the George Orwell room (he used to drink here. One of the better places in Soho for a pint.
29 Jun 2013
Took 30 members of my group there on Thursday night, pity it was raining as we were squeezed outside under the canopy. Everyone enjoyed it, fantastic interior, good range of beers. We even saw Terry Jones from Monte Python having a drink.
29 Dec 2011
One of my favourite pubs in London and is full of charm and character. The only drawback is that it is a very small pub so can get overcrowded at peak times. However, they always have a variety of well kept real ales on and a "Sup Before You Buy" policy, so by tasting before you buy will ensure you always get a good pint.
08 Nov 2011
The only positive features of this corner pub is that it is a listed building and it usually has a good choice of real ales. For a corner building it is a small narrow pub with sparse seating areas some which are directly in front of the gents toilet door.which itself leads down a very steep stairs to the grim w.c. The ladies are up a different steep stairs which also leads to an eating area and other bar which famously had George Orwell as one of it's patrons. You would be very fortunate to find a seat anywhere in the evening. It is not at all intimate or cosy as seats are on top of each other.The bar staff always seem disinterested and gloomy. Not a great place to take a wife or girlfriend or either for senior citizens If you like standing and chatting with a couple of mates supping a good ale and even admiring the Victorian mirrors and architecture this pub is adequate for a pint or two.
26 Feb 2011
Went to this pub today, love the interior. Had a pint of the dark mild which was great, for my second pint I tried a bitter which tasted of braso. I went to the barman to ask for an exchange, and he refused. A full blown argument ensued before he reluctantly changed my virtually untouched pint. I don't go to pubs for this sort of grief, and neither I nor my companions will ever return. Avoid at all costs.

18 Bateman Street, Soho, London, W1D 3AJ