Duke of Wellington, Epping Forest

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (11 reviews)
For years the Duke of Wellington has been a normal, down-to-earth pub, used by a succession of patrons after a post-Epping Forest stroll, or those refreshing themselves after a round of golf. Well, all that has changed, as it has been give a wholesale refurbishment. If we were being unkind, it would be easy to label this as another country pub that forgot it was a country pub. The good news is that the beers are top notch, with a selection of Shepherd Neame beers on offer; our Spitfire was very well kept. The bar food is also good, with our reasonably priced burger and chips making the grade. Out back the large garden is attractive, even if it is ruined by scores of wasps every time we come here. But then, on the other hand, if we wanted Ikea style couches, uniformed staff and reserved signs scattered about, we wouldn't go to High Beech for it. The refurb is contemporarily muted - inoffensive, comfortable, out of keeping with the property and far, far too predictable. For those who like their county pubs arranged to look like suburban restaurants, then this is for you.
18 Mar 2013
What can i say about this pub it just gets better and better, I had my mother’s Day Celebrations with all my family and we were not disappointed 15 of us and not one complaint the food was amazing as always and the staff couldn’t do enough to make the day that little more special, i will be returning for more family celebrations. Thanks the Duke of Wellington.
18 Mar 2013
06 Mar 2013
I came to this pub for lunch last week with my girlfriends for our usual catch up. My first impression was how smart it looked inside, with the leather sofas adding a welcoming touch. The menu was very inviting, almost too hard to make a choice! Friendly staff and a great atmosphere. The food arrived and was absolutely delicious, finishing off with the sticky toffee pudding - perfect! Lovely day, I will definately be coming back for another visit.
04 Mar 2013
I visit the duke on a regular basis with my family. We visited over the weekend, and the food just seems to get better and better with every visit.

My wife had hake, and was left with no doubt in her mind that it was the freshest piece of fish she'd had in a long time. I had a sirloin steak, and it was, as usual fantastic. The children both had roast beef, both excellent.

We are always given a warm welcome by all staff, as is everyone else we see coming through the doors of this great pub/restaurant.

We were recommended this place to eat by a friend who works at Billingsgate market, after he visited with his family. What a recommendation.

Five stars all round for this little hidden gem!
24 Feb 2013
I think the review by Kathryn1978 speaks volumes, it gives an insight to the kind of attitude of the people who run this pub and the value they put on their returning customers along with their hopeful recommendations. Also the fact that fancyapint have given this newly refurbished pub a 2 pint rating sums it all up. To be confronted in such a fashion for complaining the steak was of poor quality is astounding. Maybe a change of staff is required. Time for a new owner.

I myself have eaten in this pub and can only say it was ok ish but nothing I would recommend. Only upside was the interior which was nicely done. One pint for treating customers that way.
23 Nov 2011
I would like to congratulate the Duke of Wellington for providing a service which is second to none! The staff are helpful and friendly and always willing to accommadate indivdual needs. Offering a very varied menu, from bar snacks, lunches, dinners and specials bored there is something for everyone. I can personally recommend the steak and roast dinners. As a fmaily we have celebrated many birthdays and the staff have always gone out of their way to make us feel welcome. A great experience every time.
23 Nov 2011
This pub is a jewel set in the middle of Epping Forest. A close friend recommend the Duke of Wellington to me last month and I am so glad they did, I took my wife and two Children for dinner and we had a wonderful meal, the pub has a very relaxed atmosphere and you are made to feel very welcome by the staff we will be returning.
22 Nov 2011
Regular walkers to Epping forest but hadn't ventured to the Duke of Wellington. Although it was extremely busy and we hadn't booked we managed to get a great table within 10 mins. The atmosphere was very welcoming, the staff warm and friendly. The roast we had was a beautiful sirloin of roast beef with fresh vegetables delicious.
In Short a wonderful pub, great atmosphere, amazing food.
20 Nov 2011
The food - 3 out of 4 mains were beautiful. The starters lovely, the roast dinners amazing and desserts enjoyable. However we had a problem with one of the mains. The steak which looked well cooked - to the liking of my father, the chips in the quirky silver bucket a nice touch. However half way through the steak it became so fatty it was inedible. We complained to the waitress who appreciated it was not satisfactory and mentioned it at the bar when it came to paying the bill. We spoke to the manager who became very aggressive and confrontational. There was a scene at the bar and he pulled the waitress to the bar where she denied making any comment. We didn't want any money back or were not speaking to create a scene more to voice slight disappointment as the rest of the meal had been so lovely. A real shame. A £90 meal where we were told our custom was not important. What had been a lovely meal was ruined as the manager was so confrontational I had to tell him we just wanted to pay the bill and were not looking for confrontation. I would love to go back for the food but I would NEVER go back due to the service from the bar manager.
10 Aug 2009
As a regular walker in Epping Forest, I often used to stop at the Duke of Wellington before its refurbishment. Back then it was a great place for a nice Sunday lunch and a good pint with the family, we waited in anticipation for the refurbishment to be completed, once finished all we could say was WOW!!!!

An old village pub that is now one of the smartest places to eat and drink. The food is out of this world and a fantastic selection of wines to accompany the nice food. There is also plenty of variety on the menu with a great selection of specials. Each time we’ve been back it’s been busy but we haven’t had to wait too long for our food.

This weekend was my mothers 60th Birthday and we thought it would be a good place to celebrate. We reserved a table for 10 on Saturday evening and all staff were ever so friendly and helpful. We were given the private room which overlooks the garden and we were pleasantly surprised as saturday was a very warm day but the the pub has air conditioning. The layout is such that there is so much more room and the pub hasn’t lost any of it's comfortable village atmosphere. We will definitely be back very soon.

Wellington Hill, High Beech, London, IG10 4AH