Duke of Wellington, Dalston

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
For a few years now the Wellington has been a pleasant enough pub catering for the gentrified young locals who call Dalston home. However, a makeover took place in 2009 improved things considerably. The main room, is decorated in a toned down to a more pub-like black, but happily what was left of the original features and etched glass still remains. The reintroduction of the word 'Duke' in the name probably illustrates another change in prevailing pub trends and pleasingly it once again corresponds with the original mosaic tiled floor which sports the full name. Indeed, in one corner an alcove has been created in front of one of the unused entrances, complete with spotlights highlighting the tiling. On the drinks front you'll find an excellent selection of ale and even on occasion a polypin of unusual cider. Meanwhile, well-attended beer festivals serve to illustrate the Wellington's commitment to quality beer and the bar snacks are a cut above average - the scotch egg looks amazing. Saying that, they need to improve the size (or the price) of the Sunday Roast to make it truly worthwhile. With a relaxed atmosphere and friendly service the overall experience is very good and their current popularity is testament to that.
09 Nov 2010
Having read the review I made a special journey across North London to try the pub. A waste of my time - the pub was closed on a Tuesday lunchtime. I saw no notices posted, so I have no idea whether that it is usual for the pub, or was a one-off occasion.

I have mentioned it before, but would Fancyapint reviewers think it was a good idea to include unusual opening times in their reviews.

119 Balls Pond Road, Dalston, London, N1 4BL
Opening times
Mon-Wed 15:00-24:00
Thu-Fri 15:00-01:00
Sat 12:00-01:00
Sun 12:00-23:30
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

Beer festival