Earl of Essex, City Road

Our rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
Now under new management and being extensively refurbished.
23 Feb 2012
Randomly walked into this place with some friends as we likes the look of it and we thought it was pretty good. Staff were friendly, the owners came and chatted to us. Nice beers, wine is much better than most pubs and the food was tasty too. Worth checking out.
19 Feb 2012
Just came back from a Sunday roast at this pub and it was great. I will definitely be back soon. Totally different experience to the other review - I found the staff really friendly.
16 Feb 2012
The owner unreservedly apologises, if you would like to speak to her please phone the pub on 020704245828
12 Feb 2012
Heard ok things about this place so popped down for a beer. We sat in the rear of the pub - looked like a dining area but there were several other tables of people just drinking. Had 3 pints of beer. Then a waiter came over to our table and asked us to move as a couple wanted to eat and needed the table, and that we were to go and stand in the bar (which was busy, no seating). I asked why we had specifically been asked to move. I was told that he had "just picked us". Felt slightly affronted by this, but didn't want to cause a scene so I said that we were leaving after finishing our drinks in about 5 minutes. He said "No you need to move now" and walked off. I carried on talking with my friend for a few minutes, and then the waiter came back and said "Sorry but you really have to move". I explained, again, that we had nearly finished our drinks and would be gone very soon. He walked off looking annoyed. Then a woman came over, who I presume is the manager, possibly French. she said "You need to vacate this table now". I explained that there was no reservation on the table, no sign saying this was a restaurant area, no alternative seating, that we had just spent about £24 at her bar, and that we didn't need to be spoken to in such a rude manner. She looked aghast and said "Well I think YOU are rude!" and then marched off. My friend and I left. There is absolutely no need to treat people like this. If you enjoy being treated like an absolute cretin, then I heartily recommend this awful place.

25 Danbury Street, Angel, London, N1 8LE
Opening times
11am - 12.30am
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

Claimed by
Landlord information

Overview

Recently renovated, the Earl of Essex provides a lovely environment to catch up with friends or have a drink after work. The extensive renovation has created a relaxed atmosphere where the whole family will feel welcome and be able to relax amongst our decor. Located on Danbury Street, Angel, the Earl of Essex is only minutes walk from Upper Street and Angel tube station with Essex Road Station also only a short walk away. Select from our range of beers, our extensive wine list or relax and enjoy a hot tea or coffee while our bar staff make you feel like a regular instantly. Our large beer garden offers an atmosphere to enjoy the warmer days of the year with family and friends. The Earl of Essex offers a range of dining options with our full kitchen meals providing a large range of alternatives and our wood stone pizza oven gives customers an opportunity to select one of our many pizzas or a range of hot bar snacks.