Fentiman Arms, Vauxhall

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Stepping out from Vauxhall station into the grim urban chaos which greets you, you'd never think you were only ten minutes or so walk from a smart gastropub. Though once you start passing the large Victorian houses of Fentiman Street you realise Geronimo Inns did their homework and that there are enough local takers for their brand of loungey pub-bars. Even the most hard-bitten fan of the traditional pub experience has to admit that this place does what it does effectively (you sense there's as much thought been put into the décor as into the food and drink). There were still real ales the hand pumps, and the food was decent enough. All-in-all it's a pretty relaxed place. The split-level beer garden is a handy feature for smokers and warmer days, even if the use of decking makes you wonder if Titchmarsh and Dimmock have just passed by.
21 Aug 2013
Nice pub but the slowest service. I have been there many times as it is so local but the service is enough to put you off. Even when the pub is empty it can still take 10 minutes to get a drink. On my last visit I was asked whether I was being served and I said to the barman the man next to me was first, so he served him, then lots of other people and didn't come back to me.
17 Nov 2009
Good review. Best bet in the area.

Worth bearing in mind that the Fentiman is only 5 mins' walk from Oval tube station, ie it's fairly handy for the Kennington Oval cricket.

64 Fentiman Road, Vauxhall, London, SW8 1LA