George & Dragon, Shoreditch

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
The George & Dragon could be aptly described as where Hoxton bohemia meets the East End. Rescued from near-dereliction, the owners kept what they could of the old place (after all, it was falling to bits) and added a dash of the early 21st century (ie 70's and 80's retro). The bizarre and eccentric décor all works very nicely and it creates a relaxed ambience. There's a CD jukebox playing pretty decent tunes earlier in the day and a couple of decks come to life in the evenings knocking out an eclectic, often retro mix. It's a very small place and only takes an average sized party to pack the place out, but even so the atmosphere is usually genial - even when people are dancing around. Its always a good sign when you're sorry the evening has to end at closing time. The beer no longer includes anything on hand pumps, which is a pity for the ale drinkers and recently asking what wine was available received the answer "red or white" (we couldn't tell if the barman was being amusing or a twat). But don't let that put you off, it's a fun pub - handy for kicking off a weekender in the area.
27 Aug 2011
I went for the first time this evening. I'd opened my rucksack already as I'm quite used it being searched when I enter bars in the west end (for obvious reasons). The doorman told me brusquely to open it properly by which I was quite confused. He then told me to stand aside saying 'you're not ok'. Then he asked me why my bag was so empty! His manner was so aggressive and rude, like I'd done something wrong already! By the time my friends came to see what was wrong, I'd had enough and went home. Obviously everyone understands the need for stringent security but this guy seemed out for an argument. I'll definitely be making a complaint and doubt I will go back again.
16 Nov 2008
Incredibly rude staff who don't really want to serve you and it's a dump!!

2-4 Hackney Road, Shoreditch, London, E2 7NS