Golden Eagle, Marylebone

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (6 reviews)
An excellent little pub - and we do mean little, it's tiny - that was spruced up not so long ago, thankfully retaining it's original character and brightening up the dingy route to the toilets. The beer is excellent, a good range - e.g. St. Austell's Tribute and Tinners - and well kept, which alone makes it worth a visit and the wine list has recently been updated. It closes early on a Sunday (7pm, we understand), but it is certainly one to seek out, if only to see what a traditional English boozer used to be like. The place is usually brimming with people who enjoy a sing song around the upright piano, when the pianist is in (Tuesday, Thursday and Friday), but it can be undeservedly quiet when he's not. It's straight out of an Ealing comedy. I say!
12 Mar 2013
Unique and splendid - name one pub like this in central London - "grumpy" barman is far from grumpy (book, cover, etc.)
02 Mar 2011
The barman is still increadibly grumpy and the beer wasn't great either - Tribute had a sort of stale taste.

Physically it's a nice pub but bad staff and bad beer mean it's a way off a four pinter. I haven't been when the piano is in full swing so can't comment on what it's like then.
10 Aug 2010
I have know this pub for years - it use to be a really good village pub when it was run by Maureen and Danny - obviously time has moved on and it has had various owners - I agree the Landlord should definitely move on and Gary the barman with him!! They are not at all welcoming - don't understand why either of them are in the pub trade - during the week (when no piano) it has a handful of miserable old village people - one to give a miss - plenty of welcoming pubs in Marylebone High Street who appreciate custom.
29 Jun 2009
Oh its reappeared.

Come on fancyapint sort your IT out!
29 Jun 2009
Wonder what happened to my last comment? I like(d) this place, great for post test-match revelry and the sing-a-long is fun, especially the piano playing. However I still say the barman is the most miserable c**t imaginable and always seems to be rowing with the bar-staff. Also we had to use the loos of the pub down the road, to which we migrated eventually (though not the loos) as the welcome was friendly even though the braying henrys and henriettas werent. Come on Eagle pull your finger out. Fraz

59 Marylebone Lane, Marylebone, London, W1U 2NW