Gregorian, Bermondsey

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (7 reviews)
A boozer with a bit of an identity crisis, although one that is probably shared by Bermondsey itself nowadays. The pub is a big Tudorbethan place, now converted into one large room, and the furnishings are frankly suburban in character, although relatively limited for the space available and has been updated not too long ago. It's pleasant enough, if we wouldn't exactly write home about it. Sadly, the four pumps for real ales were dead on our visit, but the Guinness was a reasonable alternative. The Gregorian is vaguely competent, and probably serves as a reasonable enough place to meet someone arriving by tube, but all in all it's nothing special at all.
26 May 2014
I have altered my last review, as dates were incorrect, unfortunately I had put 1790 instead of 1970 and I am not THAT old! LOL. I don't think Scott would appreciated it either! LOL. All sorted now and altered.
26 May 2014
I used to work here in the 1970's as a live in barmaid, and it has a claim to fame that not many people know...
When I worked here there was a resident band which played every Friday night, called Fast Buck. The members were American, hence the name. On lunch time the lead guitarist came in and told me he had had an audition to play with a band. The name of this guitarist? Well it was Scott Gorham. The name of the band he left Fast Buck to play with? That was THIN LIZZY.
When I visited this pub recently it brought back so many good happy memories, and the interior has not changed much. The stage has now gone, and the drinks are slightly more than 20p a pint (as in 1970's), but it was wonderful reliving my misspent youth!
04 Jun 2010
Walking past the Gregorian, I was attracted inside by the unusual facade (unusual for Bermondsey?). It is a large pub, with plenty of seats. Very clean appearance and, unlike the reviewer(s), I quite liked the wooden bar and furniture. The drinks on offer were John Smiths, Bulmers, Strongbow, Fosters and Kronenburg. They did have four handpumps, but all had their labels turned round - whether permanently or temporarily I have no idea. Didn't see any food. Unfortunately, on a sunny early lunchtime, they had less than a dozen customers. I will definitely be back, hopefully at a busier time.
30 May 2010
Great pub.

Taken over recently by a very friendly Irish Landlord & his family. Have done a great deal of work on it all ready, clean bright large pub, toilets clean. Great atmosphere, great live music. Made to feel very welcome the minute we walked through the pub. Look forward to seeing what they do with this pub. Live football games, Irish matches. Pool tables.
30 May 2010
Great pub

Taken over by a new landlord 3 weeks ago. Very friendly Irish guy, run with his family. Great night had in there, live band, great atmosphere, made us feel very welcome the minute we walked through the door. Doesn't tolerate any trouble in his pub out the door straight away. Clean pub, clean toilets. Look forward to seeing what they do with this pub, well worth a try. Shows all the football and also the Irish matches, pool table. Good mixture of ages.
10 Mar 2010
Walked up today for some free wifi, the windows are painted over and the sign on the door says, Closed Until Further Notice

96 Jamaica Road, Bermondsey, London, SE16 4SQ