Grenadier, Belgravia

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
The Grenadier is another one of those small Knightsbridge pubs you would expect to find in the middle of Suffolk, but maybe not the middle of London. As you'd surmise from the name, military memorabilia hangs from the walls of both the bar and the small dining area at the back, and there is an air of old-fashioned gentility about the place. There's usually a good range of well-kept beers on the hand pumps - Landlord, Bombardier, London Gold and Woodforde's Wherry, when we were last here - on the pumps - and there's plenty of decent pub grub. Fish and chips, pies, bangers and mash and our favourite, fish finger baguettes, for around a tenner. Occasionally, the stuck-up nature of some the clientele can be a bit off-putting, but the professional staff and the general ambience of the pub more than make up for it. It's a small place, so a visit out of peak times is recommended if you want to get a seat.
15 Nov 2011
There is always an interesting mix of tourist types and local / military types in here. It is an intriguing little pub of the 'mews' type that are abundant in this area of London. Beer is consistently good and the food always looks in good nick. Worth a visit - I'd give it only a three due to the lack of any real atmosphere.
18 Sep 2011
In the small and cozy restaurant I ate really well (sole from Dover). Friendly service.
27 Feb 2010
A friend and I visited the Grenadier this week for the first time in 30 years and, contrary to the earlier comments, I was very pleasantly surprised at how nice a place it is. The beer was good and well served, and both the staff and fellow customers were up for quick, though not very meaningful, conversations. One word of caution, our experience was enhanced by bagging one of the few seats in the tiny drinking area. Choose the right time to visit, or be prepared to stand very close to your neighbours.
22 Aug 2009
I called in for a drink on Sun 12th July with an Italian friend. Unfortunately we were "served" by the worst barmaid I've ever come across. She couldn't pour a pint; started putting lager in a bitter top sloshed a bottle of ginger beer into a glass and had no ice. A pub with no ice in summer in the middle of London? Get some! She then tried to charge us £17.60 for four drinks (pint of bitter, half a bitter top, a coke and a bottle of ginger beer.) I hope this was nothing to do with the possibility that we might have been mistaken for naive tourists as I was speaking Italian to my friend. The barmaid then took a minute to add up the drinks on a calculator. Had I not wanted to avoid causing a scene in front of my friend I would have told her to keep the drinks and would have walked out. If you are taking a foreign guest to a pub in the area, I would advise the Nag's Head, where at least you won't be embarrassed to live in a city where the service is so poor. The Grenadier used to be a great pub. Message to landlord/owner. Sort it out!

18 Wilton Row, Belgravia, London, SW1X 7NR