Half Moon, Putney

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Phew! The Half Moon's been saved from gutting and conversion into yet another gastro affair. A music venue since 1963, the like of the Stones and U2 have played here in their early days, Kasabian more recently. It looks like the campaign to keep this famous live music venue as it is has succeeded and Young's have given in. One does have to wonder why Putney needs yet another gastropub - there are at least six in spitting distance, two of which are Young's establishments! We can only applaud the efforts of the staff and fans of the pub. The pub itself hasn't really changed in some time, barring a bit of upgrading. The beer's decent enough, they're serving food in the pub again and the live venue in the back is still working as a performance space. It's still got comfy sofas, and a good jukebox, and it's comfortable enough even when there's a band on. Now that it's been saved, we urge you to keep going - it still needs customers to keep it going and it'd be a shame to lose this historic venue. And with plans to get more new talent onto the stage, you never know who you might be able to see here.
09 Apr 2012
I went, once again, to The Half Moon last Thursday to see a band. I honestly thought I'd walked into the wrong pub. Gone are all the Youngs beers, gone are all the flyers for future band appearances, and gone is the traditional pub atmosphere. The service and beer are still good, but this once traditonal pub seems to be heading the way it was whilst being threatened with gastro-into-itus! I wonder if this time next year it will still be a live music venue - I have my doubts!
24 Feb 2012
I've been to this pub several times over the years, mainly to see live bands. It has changed very little, apart from a fresh lick of paint, and I've always found the beer and service to be good, and the atmosphere lively and friendly. Thank god it still has decent bands playing. There are not many good music pubs left nowadays, which is criminal!

93 Lower Richmond Road, Putney, London, SW15 1EU