Horniman at Hays, London Bridge

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
We've been in and out of the Horniman at Hays more times than we care to remember over the years. Its location on the south bank, with the Globe and Tower Bridge not too far away, means it's ideally located for a lot of things on that side of the river and is consequently busy with tourists and local office types. Part of the Nicholson's chain, the beer is always well kept and the selection is nothing to sneeze at, with reasonably priced wines on offer as well. In warmer weather the terrace overlooking the river is crowded to overflowing, but on our last visit everyone was crowded into the bars to keep warm. Service is prompt and the staff do remarkably well under the conditions, making sure no one's ignored or missed out. And the food side of things is Nicholson's normal menu, including the sausage and mash menu - the food's passable and does in a pinch, but we're fairly sure it's probably out of a freezer bag for the most part. It's worth a look if you're in the area, particularly if you're after a seat by the water watching the world go by - just be aware that there may be the odd pushchair and accompanying child nearby. It's faux traditional feel almost convinces, with something a previous reviewer described as "Victoriana-Turkish bath style". It's far from original but that doesn't seem to matter to the clientele.
30 Oct 2013
i been to this pub many times and most of the time i was satisfied with the service as i know its a busy pub. last time i went it was last saturday dinner time . it wasn't busy like any other saturdays but i was very disappointed . i was with my family & i was expecting a little bit interest from the waitresses but they seems to be too lost for me . one of the girl came to my table to take the order with an dead face and goes " what do you want " !! wow it was nice of her greetings us like that . well she have taken the food and drinks order so we were waiting . drinks came after 10/15 minutes . and food arrive after 40 minutes on a quite night and guess what there was one dish missing . when we call her back she deny it and said aw you never order that to me . we were only 4 people why would we order 3 dishes you silly girl . well finally she took the order again and said it'll take half and hour . when i asked could you please hurry up she goes to me we are not macdonalds instead of feeling guilty . none of the girls asked us if we need anything else or desserts or anything . we were still there waiting for desserts menu but that girl just pass us the bill . but guess what the best surprise i had when she right down the tips herself . my bill was £103.20 and she put 20% service charge . when i ask her about that she said her manager ask her to do that . when i said i can't pay you £21 tips she goes to me like if i can't afford tips why do i even goes to a restaurant. i had nothing to say in front of my family i just gave up & left the place and promise to my self that i'll never come back even though it used to be my favourite place to go . apparently i took her name from the bills and its " juste " i don't know where she's from but she's terrible . she needs to learn some manner and she can put her self in trouble one day !!
15 Aug 2008
I have just had the worst jacket potato in my life. What a rip off! For a pub that is meant to attract tourists, they will leave London thinking that the food is terrible and we are clueless on how to entertain people! This is the 2nd time I've had horrid food and thought I'd give it another go but this time it was even worse!

Bad service, bad food and horrid atmosphere. I will NEVER go back there again.

Hay's Galleria, London Bridge, London, SE1 2BA