Intrepid Fox, Bloomsbury

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (33 reviews)
When Goth and rocker hangout the Intrepid Fox closed its doors in 2006 (a victim of a calculated M&B pub cull) we thought it was the end for this Soho institution. But then we discovered that it moved - lock, stock and barrel - to a new venue in Tottenham Court Road, having taken over the under-performing Conservatory bar. Ugly as sin from the outside, inside you'd think the place had been there for years. Tunes are of the hard rock variety while piercings and tattoos abound. The trip down to the loo was covered in death metal posters and don't be surprised when they draw a pentangle in your Guinness. We heard ties are a no-no if you want serving, and indeed a couple of besuited types at the bar were very much tie-less. It made us wonder if that meant Angus or Nick wouldn't get a pint, so we donned our best gothic apparel - complete with black tie - and had no problems; it seems it's not necessarily what you wear, but how you wear it. Anyway, if anything, the increase in space has made this a better place to drink than the original and it seems that the Intrepid Fox MK2 has a bright (well, dark) future.
03 Apr 2013
Is like a rock theme pub, nowhere near as good as the original one in Soho. Seriously poor range of drinks. While all other pubs are selling a range of ales and quality craft beers and lagers, the drinks here are stuck in the eighties. Bouncers are rude and aggressive. Staff slow. Other than the music and the visitors, this pub has nothing going for it.

Go to the Pipeline in Middlesex Street to see how to run a decent rock pub. Great music, great beers, great staff.

Glad to see the place closing down. Hopefully, a decent Intrepid Fox will be set up elsewhere. The owners need to move with the times.
25 Nov 2012
I think that extensive/long reviews are lame. if you like a place, good. If you don't go touch yourself or something. After all.. life should be full of surprises...
28 Aug 2012
Great people Great music and all round great bar especially for the metal hard rock scene love it definately reccomend it \m/
12 Nov 2011
I have to say that my experience at the Fox on Thursday was terrible. Sure Pink Cigar played fine, but the sound was dreadful. How difficult can it be to mix? Are PC unique? (Excuse grammar.) They comprise a guitar, a bass guitar, drum kit and a vocalist. Oh, and two more mikes needed for said guitarist and bass player. Perhaps the guy on the mixing desk had never encountered such a combination, but the vocals were inaudible until challenged by an audience member (modesty forbids ...) which meant that the balance was only fixed for the last number. I would have thought that a venue like the Fox could demand reasonably qualified technicians. This was frankly the worst I've heard, and I've been to some pretty rough places. OK so it was free entry, so one would expect the bar takings to reflect this, rather than relying on the door. But that leads me on to the second aspect of this dross night. I cannot speak of the service at the upstairs bar: it may be fine but I'm a pint drinker, and there didn't seem to be any draught on offer other than the ground floor. That's fine, I understand the physics of lugging barrels about. But the service downstairs matched the sound mixing upstairs. Again, worst ever. Why have staff who want to work behind the bar as a hobby? Why not get people who are prepared to serve customers? There was one guy who seemed reasonably connected, but he disappeared off to fetch glasses (OK, it has to be done), but the other two staff were terrible. One seemed to want to spend his time knocking back shots with mates and the other showed exemplary language usage when she chucked hissy fits about customers complaining. It took 15 minutes for me to get served for our first round, and people around me were saying the same thing. It took 15 minutes for us to decide that the second round was a waste of time, so we left. We went over the road to the Angel. Other people did the same, downed a few shots and went back. We didn't. Pat needs to fix things. Pity. It's a great place, full on and hardcore. Room for improvement.
07 Oct 2011
FOX4LIFEYO....you're a genius. I salute you :)
06 Oct 2011
I will never forget the night I went to this pub....
Me and a few friends decided to hit central for a few light ales, only recently having moved to London and were looking forward to our first visit to the intrepid fox..... one of my friends never made it out alive.. his screams still ring in my ears..the poor f***** never had a chance.
After our first warm beers (complete with floating fingernails and hypodermic needles) we talked to some of the patrons, who were harsh, cruel and evil.. never before have I met such murderous rampaging villains.. people were being brutally tortured all around me.. I bought a can of peanuts from the vending machine, as I opened it a comedy snake popped out and blinded one of my friends...even the snacks were designed to kill us....We attempted to strike up a conversation with a member of staff..they became hostile.. while trying to diffuse the situation I was glassed by an irate pirate. Blinded by shards of glass I failed to notice the gang of pickpockets robbing everything that I owned, stealing my identity and cloning all of my cards.. within minutes I was cleaned out.. they even took my shoes.. this is when alarms were sounded and the doorstaff appeared. I had never felt fear until this moment.. taking out anyone in their path, the doormen barged towards us, crushing and killing most of the people in their way. I ran, in fear of my life as the screams built up around me. I ran towards the toilets... BIG MISTAKE.
As soon as I got down there a man approached me attempting to sell me drugs..the smell was unbearable.. This is where I lost my innocence... as I scrambled for air I was sucked down into the darkness.. a gateway to hell opened up and I was dragged inside..I am still there now..please send help..

WICKED NIGHT WAS HAD BY ALL! SLAYYYYYYYEERR!!

23 Sep 2011
Hang on, you went there " because was the only pub in the centre that play RUBBISH METAL!!!! " ? Are you retarded? Don't answer that I've got it sussed...oh yeah also, there isn't a "blondie man" working there so think I'm gonna have to agree with the last post, you weren't there...Wallet stolen huh? Good thing there's a shit load of cameras in the place. My beers never been warm and I've never waited longer than 5 mins to get served and that's on a Saturday night. What a loser,
23 Sep 2011
Dear 'Hans' no you didn't . Stop logging in under false names to write the same old rubbish and insults. It's not that hard to figure out. You're not too bright are you. You prove that by stating you waited half an hour for drinks, nobody sane would wait that long for a pint. More to the po0int it has never taken anyone that long to get served at The Fox. Get a life.
13 Sep 2011
Some friends took me here for the first time about a month ago and I've been back about 4 times since. It looks like something from the Rocky Horror Show and to be honest so do all the people there so I fit right in. Seems to be full of hardcore real metal heads the odd Emo but meh! Standard lagers on tap but plenty of bottles to choose and loads of Jager so all's good. Toilets aren't great but compared to say The Dev in Camden they're the Ritz. Not an awful lot of seating but plenty of standing room. No booze allowed outside after nine but that's only a problem if you're a smoker I figure. Bar staff are a cool bunch and good for a laugh. They give as good as they get when a+++holes try it on at the bar but the less a+++holes the better.
13 Sep 2011
Have to agree with Natalie. This place has great potential. Great music, and cool decor but the staff really let it down. They are not just rude but angry and give so much attitude you end up wondering what their problem is.
11 Sep 2011
Been to this place quite a few times when we're out for the weekend. It's dark and loud and usually has a good mix of nutters knocking about. Can't drink outside after 9pm which is a bit of a pain but I guess that's down to the license. Try to use the loos upstairs when it's open 'cos the ones downstairs are a bit of a nightmare.

Dunno what that last post was on about 'cos we've always had really good service there from everyone and none of them are ugly. There are mirrors behind the bar though so maybe they were looking into one of those.
08 Sep 2011
Some of the reviews on here are just such a blatent attack on the staff! I have always found everyone in the pub helpful and friendly...it plays great music and is centrally located which is fab for a drink after a hard day at the office!
08 Sep 2011
Cool pub - great people.......love it!!!
07 Sep 2011
I'm from Spain and I went there not so long ago, when I was doing a tourism trip in London. The first day I and my two friends liked the place so much that we went there two days more, and we recommended it to some more friends that travelled there later. They also liked the place. There's always good music, and the people and bartenders are nice also.
07 Sep 2011
Mad place this. Don't go expecting a Hard Rock Cafe type of thing as someone already said. This is more your low down dive rock n roll Hell kind of place. Noisy and real. Gets really busy at times but even though the bar area is quite small they seem to have alot of staff on, I counted six on Saturday and there's a small one person bar upstairs too. Although that's only open at the weekend I think. Good place to go with a group of mates if out gigging. Proper metal maniac bar staff too.
07 Sep 2011
I went to Intrepid Fox on Friday for first time and wow! Rock & f***ing Roll Baby. Crazy bar full of crazy people all having fun. Had lots of shots and music is loud. Toilets are disaster zone but is a rock bar & I seen plenty worse so what the hey. People working there are all crazy too but in good way, have fun with you and all customers. Will go again plenty from now.
07 Sep 2011
Firstly I do not work for this bar. However, I am a Very SATISFIED CUSTOMER. Apparently one individual has taken it upon themselves to decide that this site should be for purely negative reviews & post personal attacks on bar staff there under several names. If anyone has a genuine complaint in any bar they can surely arrange to see the bar manager.

If I don't like a bar I don't drink there. I don't feel the need to launch a little campaign...because I have a life
07 Sep 2011
WARNING !!!!! THIS BLOG IS MANIPULATED FROM SOME OF THE BARTENDERS of THE INTREPID FOX !!!!!
05 Sep 2011
I do work there , and if we counting the tips so often is cos customers use to stole our tips jag , my one is been stole it for 7 times now with all my money !!!!!!!!! so please before people talk and take some fast conclusions ,try to think a bit and put yourself in our place , Is not easy work in a such a popular place , is not easy be in another site of the bar .....If you want respect as a customer that of course you do deserve we want respect is well !!!!!!!!! Thank you
05 Sep 2011
With regard to maria12345's post I can assure you as a regular at the Fox that there already are CCTV cameras at the bar and always have been. What are you implying exactly? As for the staff spending more time counting tips than serving? I can only assume they get very well tipped very often for doing a very good job :)
04 Sep 2011
always an abundance of JD and Jager, good music and just a generally fun place to be weekdays and weekends
04 Sep 2011
Cool pub! Cool people! Cool music! Cool bar crew! Cool shots! Cool beers! Cool DJ!...oh yeah, did I mention it's COOL?
04 Sep 2011
This is an amazing place with an equally amazing atmosphere in the heart of London. The staff are from all kinds of countries, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Turkey...one even from the UK I think ;) So, tourists will always find some common ground. If you drop in during the week (as I often do) it will be quieter and there's always the chance to chat with the bartenders, who have been good enough to have a shot with me on many occasions. The locals are friendly too and striking up a conversation and making new friends is easy. On a Friday & Saturday night the place is much wilder and busier, luckily the boys on the door always keep the peace (even to an old dog like me). It may take slightly longer to get served at these times but there are usually 4 0r 5 of the folks working the bar and they all know what they are doing. The music is loud and controlled from behind the bar, the boys & girls will play you a tune if you ask and even some good ol' blues finds it's way in from time to time;) A real nice genuine rock joint with no pretensions and plenty of character. Let boogie chil'en.
03 Sep 2011
FOx,its a great pub with really good atmosphere...and people are really friendly...i ve been there for a year now...and its not one litlle thing that will make me not to come back...so for who wants to party is the best place to do it....and u never gone feel a stranger...
02 Sep 2011
The Intrepid Fox was the best place in Town and still is with the New place near Tottenham Court Road.If you want to have a drink with your friends and listen to all kinds of Rock Music this is the place to GO!!!What are you waiting for?
02 Sep 2011
This is the most rocking, kickass bar in London. You want a pint with some action? Come here. There's classic rock from the 80s all night, it's open till 3am weekends so you can party until the afterparty and you'll always see a familiar face. If you're new in town and you like rock or metal or punk, go to the Fox. It's been around for years, it's exactly as you'd imagine a gritty, notorious London sleazerock bar to be: full of oldtimers and hot pretty young things dressed to kill alike, overflowing with Jack and pumping classic and new tunes all night long. Everyone is super cool, even if you're not dressed like you fell out of Hollywood in 1983. Don't be put off by the hard-edged, tousled rockers havin a smoke outside. They're the most awesome people you'll meet tonight. Come in. Have a shot of Jager. If you don't like it I'll be surprised.
02 Sep 2011
Fox is a great place to go 4 a drink and have some rock or metal background music. Very international stuff and punters as well but always a great place to hang around. My only complain is that there's no food is available ;) lol
02 Sep 2011
Great bar. Real staff. Heavy music. Good crowd.
01 Sep 2011
Whenever I'm in London I make a point of going to the Fox and I'm always glad I do. The bar staff always remember me and most importantly what I drink. There's also a good friendly regular crowd there that are always interesting to talk to and hang out with. It's not the glossy fake Disneyfied Hard Rock Cafe kind of place but a proper ROCK bar...leave your BS at the door or you will get grief, and deservedly so. Fakers aren't appreciated. Best true rock bar in the whole of London as far as I'm concerned.
01 Sep 2011
Been drinking at the Fox for a good few years now and frankly find the last 'warning' just an attempt to sabotage it's business and make some deluded personal attack on the great staff there. A low down rock bar in the way a rock bar should be with staff who know there stuff and are always willing to have a good time with the customers..If you wanna rock with shots definitely the bar to be in.
31 Aug 2010
Please don't go!

I'm from holland, on vacation in London. And i'm a real Rock-chick. But when me and a friend went to the Fox we were not even served! We waited fot five minutes and this skank behind the bar looked at us and just ignored us! I don't mind people with a bit of attitude, bu this was just rude. So to everybody thingking about visiting this place for the first time: Just DON'T. Go somewhere else!
19 Jun 2010
The sad thing is, this used to be such a great pub. Fashions changed but the Fox was always a stalwart of the alternative scenes, friendly, great atmosphere and always a great night out.

Now the barmaids don't seem to know the meaning of the word friendly. Or welcoming. Or service. You get the point.

The bar area is for posing and preening and throwing water and ice at other bar staff. Actually serving drinks seems to be something that only happens to friends of the owner.

No that's unfair, if you wait patiently for 20-30mins you may get served.

People will always come here because of the pub it used to be. My friends and I will not.

15 St. Giles High Street, Bloomsbury, London, WC2H 8LN