Island Queen, City Road

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (8 reviews)
After a long period in the wilderness, the Island Queen's decline was reversed a few years back when Mitchells and Butlers took the time, care and patience to make this a pub to be proud of once again. The beer line-up is up to the good usual M&B standard: Pride, Landlord and Deuchars (and occasional guests) on the hand pumps, with Kolsch, Fruli, Leffe, Hoegaarden, Staropramen etc. all on draft. The wine list is short but perfectly acceptable, whilst the food is good, standard upmarket pub fare. Architecturally, it's fantastic here - high ceilings, etched glass, and dark, worn wood are the hallmarks of this quality establishment. The pub's popularity makes it tricky to find a seat at the usual times - Friday after work is particularly difficult - but upstairs hosts extra seating to take the strain. The service can be a bit patchy, even when it's not busy, but once you've got a drink, the lively atmosphere and splendid surroundings, will put you in a better fame of mind. If you're tired of the hustle, bustle and general dreariness of Upper Street, a short walk to the Island Queen will usually sort things out.
30 May 2012
Really rude staff. Only got 3 out of the 4 meals ordered. No apology.
But the kitchen staff gave me a present of diarrhea - so that was nice.
21 Apr 2012
Unbelievably rude and offensive bar staff, never coming back
25 Oct 2011
I have been a long term patron of The Island Queen and have often recommended it to people looking for a good pub in Islington. However, the treatment I received at the hands of its present manager, whose customer care skills are beyond appalling and more in the realms of a horrific car crash, simply have to be given as a warning to anyone thinking of using the place. I have never, ever been treated so disgracefully as I have been by this woman, and if the problems others have reported vis a vis bad service are to be believed, then it is little surprise given the atrocious attitude of the person in charge. If I was the owner of this pub I would be horrified to find out that someone as awful at dealing with customers was supposedly the representative of my business.
The other day I rang the pub on behalf of my girlfriend to find out if she had left her black scarf in the pub and if it had been found. The manager reported that it had been but managed to hang up the phone before I had a chance to tell her my name, when the scarf would be retrieved and the name of the person collecting it. I had to ring back, and when I pointed out that she had hung up the phone before I had had the chance to pass on the information, she proceed to scream denials and blue murder down the phone at me. The following day my girlfriend took an hour out to go and retrieve her scarf, but on arrival it had bizarrely gone missing and no such item was to be found. However, when I called the pub back to find out what the story was, there was actually a scarf, but it had turned pink overnight. The manager proceeded once more to shout down the phone at me and hang up again. I phoned a final time to try and give her a chance to sort this situation out but once again I was shouted at, abused and hung up on.
Such epically bad behaviour would usually see an employee fired, but to see it from a manager beggars belief. Such individuals do a disservice to the good pubs we have and eventually will start deservedly impacting on business. The manager should think long and hard about her chosen career as she simply is not suited to working with people. Similarly, pub owners Mitchells and Butlers would do well do dispose of her questionable and limited talents before they cost a good pub not just money but also its reputation.
25 Oct 2011
I have been a long term patron of The Island Queen and have often recommended it to people looking for a good pub in Islington. However, the treatment I received at the hands of its present manager, Antonia Orpen, whose customer care skills are beyond appalling and more in the realms of a horrific car crash, simply have to be given as a warning to anyone thinking of using the place. I have never, ever been treated so disgracefully as I have been by this woman, and if the problems others have reported vis a vis bad service are to be believed, then it is little surprise given the atrocious attitude of the person in charge. If I was the owner of this pub I would be horrified to find out that someone as awful at dealing with customers was supposedly the representative of my business.
The other day I rang the pub on behalf of my girlfriend to find out if she had left her black scarf in the pub and if it had been found. Ms Orpen reported that it had been but managed to hang up the phone before I had a chance to tell her my name, when the scarf would be retrieved and the name of the person collecting it. I had to ring back, and when I pointed out that she had hung up the phone before I had had the chance to pass on the information, she proceed to scream denials and blue murder down the phone at me. The following day my girlfriend took an hour out to go and retrieve her scarf, but on arrival it had bizarrely gone missing and no such item was to be found. However, when I called the pub back to find out what the story was, there was actually a scarf, but it had turned pink overnight. Ms Orpen proceeded once more to shout down the phone at me and hang up again. I phoned a final time to try and give her a chance to sort this situation out but once again I was shouted at, abused and hung up on.
Such epically bad behaviour would usually see an employee fired, but to see it from a manager beggars belief. Such individuals do a disservice to the good pubs we have and eventually will start deservedly impacting on business. Antonia Orpen should think long and hard about her chosen career as she simply is not suited to working with people. Similarly, pub owners Mitchells and Butlers would do well do dispose of her questionable and limited talents before they cost a good pub not just money but also its reputation.
20 Jun 2009
Crap pub. Crap food. Crap staff.

This used to be a quiet pub where you could have a drink with friends and have leisurely chats, now it is trying hard to be trendy and most of the patrons scream and shout at each other to be heard over the shite music. The food is very poor and I wouldnt eat there again. The staff are surely and everything is a "big deal" if you happen to ask a question. Avoid like ... swine flu or the plague..
09 Jun 2009
how wonderful - great food, great beers, and a witty landlady who really cares about this place. By far my favourite place to rendezvous - mojito in hand preferrably made by the resident cuban! Pop down for Sunday lunch if you can after a walk along the canal - most likely to get a table every sunday as the pub is just off of the beaten track (the narrowboat is the obvious choice from the canal but take the same turning ad=nd its literally 50 yards away).
28 Jul 2008
ow times change. Was in the Island Queen the other night and the service has become to say the least a little angsty. You can't you not play your own music if you rent the room upstairs (which is lovely decor wise and a bit of a find), as the venue doesn't have a PRS license for anything but library music (!). (so if you having a party there you better like your music generic!)

Not only this but a member of staff helping out when off duty (and drunk) who then got abusive with a lady in our party and tried to start a fight with two different people and called a customer "a b**ch". Hardly inspiring customer service! I hear it's become a chain pub now so don't be fooled by the (admittedly lovely) Edwardian interior. Same jobsworth attitude you get in chain pubs too often. Avoid.

87 Noel Road, Islington, London, N1 8HD