John Snow, Soho

Our rating: FAP Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Rather than celebrating the life of the newsreader (Jon) famed for his garish ties, this Victorian pub in the heart of Soho is named after the doctor who established that cholera was a waterborne disease - and nothing to do with vapours or miasma. The site of the original water pump, which was key to his discovery, is marked by a granite kerb slab outside the pub (it's not where the mock water pump is, just down the road). It serves decent cheap pub grub and all the standard Sam Smith's beers. Unfortunately, the drink is served in cheap plastic glasses, even if you stay inside - apparently to avoid the the wrath of the Republic of Westminster. It's the only pub we visited in these parts that did this - why the council appears to have it in for the John Snow, we've no idea - and the heavy-handed eviction tactics at closing time only heaped insult upon injury. What Snow, who was said to be teetotal would make of this, we don't know, but for us the John Snow's no longer the pub we used to enjoy.
31 Oct 2009
This place can be OK for a quiet afternoon drink, but the staff can be tetchy. I arranged to meet a friend of mine here once, and he dared to go to the toilets before buying a drink. The barman challenged him, rudely insisting he couldn't use the loo before buying a drink first.(It wasn't like my friend was dressed as a tramp or anything , plus why would anyone sneak in for a wee here when theres free public toilets just outside?) The barman's OTT heavy handedness made my friend walk out in disgust, and we can no longer meet up there.
11 Aug 2009
I have been to this pub on several occasions. I have always found the service friendly and I have never been served my pint in a plastic glass. However, sometimes in London pubs, if there is a big football match or similar event going on, many pubs do use plastic glasses. So perhaps your reviewer went there on one of those occasions.

39 Broadwick Street, Soho, London, W1F 9QJ