The Jugged Hare, Victoria

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Fullers started putting their Ale and Pie Houses in former banks a few years ago with some success - and this one's no exception. It's a lovely building with vaguely opulent decor and very high ceilings. The front area is predominately for vertical drinking, but there's a seated back section to hide away in, as well as an upstairs balcony area. It's a little bit further away from a lot of the attractions in the area, so tends not to attract many tourists. The pub can get busy with local civil servants and office workers, however, so we'd recommend arriving sometime after lunch and before home time if you want to appreciate drinking one of the good choice of ales here in relative peace.
29 Jun 2011
Wednesday night is Quiz Night @ the Jugged Hare! Kicks off at 7pm, £1 entry per player – a broad general knowledge affair, with plenty of spot prizes. Bookings taken.
30 May 2010
I can't believe how good the pies and ale were here! I found this pub in a book at our local library, and made a note of it because it was close to the hotel we had booked. Well, during our stay we ate at a few other pubs, but none of them came close: the crust was so well done, the filling was savory, extra gravy came with the dish, and the ale was the best I've ever had. Granted, we're from California, so we usually drink wine, but we are very used to excellent cuisine, so we're really spoiled when it comes to restaurants. This pub changed my idea, which is firmly fixed in the States, that England's cuisine is a poor joke. My experience here, as well as the scones I ate at the Nash house in Stratford-Upon-Avon have made me a believer that the Brits know how to eat!. I feel as if I now have a "neighborhood pub" whenever I am in London. Surprisingly, 2 of the pies offered appeared to be vegetarian and their description on the menu looked very attractive. I wish i could go there for dinner and a pint tonight. Susan

172 Vauxhall Bridge Road, Victoria, London, SW1V 1DX