Junction Tavern, Tufnell Park

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (6 reviews)
On the surface this seemed like another gastropub done by the book, with the book in question being "How to Make a Gastropub in 10 Easy Lessons". A wine list more expensive than local restaurants? Check. Large 'eating only' area? Check. Trendy young things trying to lounge nonchalantly? Check. This one does, however, fare better than some other North London casualties. The exterior and wood panelled drinking area have been left more or less in tact - so there's a dark, luxurious feeling to the place. A large back garden promises a pleasant alfresco experience for the summer and a heated conservatory a compromise for the other 49 weeks of the year. Unusually for a gastropub, not only has the Junction Tavern resisted the temptation to remove one of the nouns from the name and start calling itself a bar, it even has three real ales on tap (and fairly regular mini beer festivals). One annoying trait we've noticed though is the propensity for reserved signs to be liberally scattered about; on our last visit we saw that about three quarters of tables were booked with the cutlery already laid out, none of which is really what being a pub is about.
13 Sep 2012
One of my favorite places in London to visit, if you are looking for a good meal and a good drink session combined. The staff are nice and all the locals are friendly. My girlfriend and i are from Manchester, so whenever we come down to London, the junction tavern is on our list for the weekend
13 Sep 2012
I have been at the junction tavern about three times now, and i can honestly say i will keep going back. I love the decor and the staff are really down to earth and friendly. There is large selections of ales and they are my favourite kind of drink, so it all goes hand in hand
22 Jul 2012
Went on a rainy day to meet friends before visiting The Forum. Nice decor, usual gastropub all wood affair. Had 2 good and well kept pints, but in the 40 minutes we were there we were asked twice if we were eating, which felt like code for eat or bugger off. Pineapple or Southampton Arms next visit I think.
06 Feb 2012
Met some friends here on Saturday afternoon and was immediately impressed by the warm welcome we got on arrival and the company of Billy the dog, one of their best customers, who was really friendly and very well behaved. The staff were charming and very helpful, providing us with free nibbles and soft drinks for the kids. Food was fantastic and the surroundings very comfortable indeed. I live in Essex but would happilly travel north again just to visit this gem of a pub - highly recommended!!!
13 Apr 2010
I came here on Easter Bank holiday, for a couple of beers. The bar staff were rude and unfriendly, and we got the distinct impression that as we weren't eating, they'd rather we weren't there. If you want to be a restaurant be a restaurant, if you want to be a pub, be a pub, not some vague approximation of both. On a final note to the bar staff, I was there with my young brother-in-law, who had just turned 18 and was visiting from Sweden, he had ID, so if you want proof of age, just ask, don't stand behind the bar constantly staring at him, making him feel uncomfortable. I recommend going to the Southampton, 5 mins walk away, as we did. 1 star "pub".

101 Fortess Road, Tufnell Park, London, NW5 1AG
Opening times
Mon-Thu: 5-11pm (food 6.30-10.30pm)
Fri-Sat: 12pm-12am (food 12-3pm/6.30-10.30pm)
Sunday: 12-11pm (food 12-5/6.30-9.30)
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

Claimed by
camdenbars
Claimed 21 Mar 2013
Dispute claim
Report member
Landlord information

Detailed Description

Ben McDonald, local resident and publican, has purchased The Junction Tavern, the landmark Kentish Town pub with the reputation among locals, for quality ales and fine food.
The Junction has always prided itself on the long standing relationships it has with its customers, some of whom have been regularly visiting the pub for the last 20 years. The pub is highly thought of by local residents and initial management plans are to continue with the high standards set by the previous owners, ie: there will be no immediate or drastic changes especially on the food side.
McDonald is about as local as a Kentish Town local could be, having been born at Royal Free hospital, brought up in Bartholomew Rd and schooled at Torriano and Haverstock. Over a 10 year period, he’s cut his teeth in the Camden pub trade, eventually becoming General Manager in Camden’s Lord Stanley, as well as the Crown & Goose.
McDonald comments: ‘I’m delighted to be taking over what many consider to be one of the finest public houses in London, with its glowing reputation for customer service, quality food and broad range of real ales. I’ve always been an admirer of the garden and conservatory at the Junction, further reasons for my keenness to purchase this outstanding establishment when it became available.’
The Junction Tavern is one of Kentish Town’s oldest pubs, established in the 18th Century.
With its reputation for fine dining as well as being a place to come for a quiet drink, the pub can also host larger drinking groups due to its many different spaces including back bar, conservatory and tranquil heated garden. Beer lovers can enjoy quality ales and ciders served up by friendly staff. By night, a warm and comfortable atmosphere prevails throughout.