King's Arms, Waterloo

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (22 reviews)
We've had variable feedback on the King's Arms lately, which is disappointing given it's had a couple of awards from us over the years. To an extent, it's possibly been a victim of its own success, with complaints about crowds and slow service. However, it is still a decent local in quaintly picturesque Waterloo East - especially if you like industrial Victoriana. We're pretty sure we've seen the nearby blackened terraced houses in many a period drama and this pub just fits right in. The beer is pretty decent, with a good choice on the hand pumps and there's Thai food, should you need more solid sustenance. Weekdays finds a mix of office workers and a wide selection of locals and weekends you'll often find it filled with people meeting up for a night out in London.
25 Jun 2014
Good food, great beer and buzzy atmosphere.
07 Feb 2014
Good Beer but overpriced

Staff completely lacking in personality and the realisation of what is good in bar staff - The two female staff doing the mid-adfternoon shift were as dishevelled as the pub and looked like they had been sucking on a lemon for a week.

For goodness sake, there is more to working in a pub that slapping a pint on the bar and asking for four quid.

Generally felt dirty and is a pale shadow of the pub of a few years ago.
14 Dec 2013
Having had one (very crowded) drink, my friends and I felt compelled to leave due to the abhorrent behaviour of the manager.
07 Sep 2013
I used to go here a lot - but the current manager thinks that you're there to be the butt of his snide sense of humour.

Unless you used to go to 'School Dinners' in Fulham, avoid
08 Aug 2013
The King's Arms is a very special pub. I have become one of the regulars; a growing (informed and interesting) community of locals and not so locals thanks to the genuine friendliness and good-humour of its experienced and colourful manager / landlord Andy and his charming and interesting staff and their joint enthusiasm for fine craft ales, and well served lagers for lesser mortals such as myself who like real ale drinking company. Each week customers are introduced and re-introduced to ales from around the country, more often than not from lesser known and more up-market breweries, whilst the pub's own ale, the much-loved Ale of Kings remains the staple. Andy and his staff act as beer-wise sommeliers, giving out informed advice, suggesting alternatives, and offering generous tastings. Experienced ale drinkers engage them in lively discussion and all our knowledge is increased as the good-humoured banter flows. Needless to say, the pub's ales are meticulously looked after and delivered, and the lines kept so clean that I've taken to drinking bottled lagers elsewhere.

The venue is delightful. A cute corner pub on an early Victorian and very desirable terraced street within the Waterloo Quarter preservation area. It nestles almost under the old arches beneath Waterloo East, which adds further Victorian charm. There are two front rooms; effectively a public bar and what in Coronation Street used to be the snug. There is also a large back room with communal seating for larger groups and where smaller parties can drink and eat comfortably. Thai food is rather common these days, but it must be remembered that the King's Arms was one of the first pubs in London to serve it, and I've not tasted better in any London pub and I'm a bit of a foodie. It's also competitively priced and quickly served, as is the ale. Finally, the pub is not meanly staffed, all the staff are quick-witted and professional, and newcomers are treated with the same friendliness and respect as the more regular patrons who are equally welcoming.

A rare find.

04 Dec 2012
Might be a bit generous with 5 pints, but still really like this pub and was surprised by other reviews.
Went there last week, first time in a year or so. Busy weekday, lots of office workers, quite a few having food which looked fine (I wasn't eating). Had a couple of good pints of Wadworth Swordfish, and then a nice touch from the staff - I wanted to try another of the beers and asked for the Adnams but the bar lady (who hadn't served me previously) somehow knew what I had been drinking and suggested that it might not follow on so well, and would I like to try some first? I did, and she was right, so went onto the TEA instead.
2 more pints and off home thinking I'll definitely be back.
17 Jul 2012
Finally, as well as Thai food during the week, this excellent pub is now serving Sunday Roasts on alternate weekends, all is now perfect, great ales, good range of lager & cider, Thai for a weekday & a nice roast in their gorgeous back room on a sunday. Sorted!
14 Apr 2012
To the people disappointed about the standard of food, perhaps you should try a Thai restaurant rather than going to a pub? I understand that there are quite a few around.....
07 Oct 2011
Popped in the Kings Arms last night, new manager, new and exciting ales, very clean and tidy. It is a great little pub and well worth stopping by. Eight Real Ales on offer, all the ones I had were clear as a bell! Also 3-4 different ciders available...was spoilt for choice but very much recommend the New Zealand IPA
06 Oct 2011
The kings arms won the best free house London region in September 2011 and went on to the finals at the morning advertiser pub awards. They are now serving 8 ales everyday , ranging from dark star and wandle and junction , wainwright to banks . Don't understand all the comments about staff and beer as I live on roupell street and know the pub very well .follow the kings on twitter to see what's on the pumps @thekingarmsse1
06 Oct 2011
Good
08 Sep 2010
My husband and I used to love this pub - particularly for its Thai food, but it has been a few years since we've eaten here. And it couldn't have been further removed from how it used to be. We had some of the worst Thai food we have ever eaten. I ordered the sliced sirloin steak with lime chilli sauce on a bed of lettuce - after checking that it was lean meat. But it was so fatty and gristly I couldn't even cut some of it, and the sauce was like cheap jam. The waitress agreed the meat was very fatty and said it wasn't usually, so I ordered spicy Thai fish cakes instead. These were like thin slices of tasteless, deep-fried shoe leather and inedible. My husband had the Tiger Roar 'speciality' roast duck red curry. The meat was mostly fat and the sauce tasted like it had come out of a jar. No wonder there were so few diners - the place used to be packed and you'd be lucky to get a table. A real disappointment and a real shame!
13 Mar 2010
Was poured a really dodgy pint of Amstel. Fair enough, that happens. What normally doesn't is being refused a new drink in replacement. The only way would be to buy a new pint. It was the baldy guy who in another review was labelled with "poor service". am definitely of that opinion. What was a good pub is now awful. Not coming back.
07 Aug 2009
Where do these people all eat Thai at? This place serves terrible Thai food!! Its the Mr Wu of Thai food, and not cheap considering the artificial dyed bland commodity food they serve...

Good bar out front though!!
03 Aug 2009
Blinding pub, great friendly staff. Definitely worth a visit
21 Jul 2009
I've been coming to the KA on and off for at least five years. Last night was a bit of a shock:

1) Haughty bar chappie with a shaven head who treated customers with terse [Gallic?] incivility and exuded angry 'I don't have to be here' vibes all evening.

2) Two out of four beers available and those not particularly well kept.

A pub can survive on surly service with wonderful beer; or average beer with great service. But both together are fatal.

I've never seen the guv'nor behind the bar. Is there one?
02 Apr 2009
What a disgrace. A pub that deserves so much better than its incredibly rude and superior staff. I will never go there again, and have to agree with many other comments here regarding how far the service has slipped. How can any business treat its customers with such contempt and expect to get away with it? A hateful experience.
30 Mar 2009
This pub used to be one of the best. I popped back a couple of weeks ago and was horrified to see how far it had slipped. Only one real ale on offer, and it was so bad (not off, just totally incapable of supporting any froth even with prompting) that I left most of it and moved on to lager (quite an exceptional thing for me to do). And, as others said, variable prices being charged. But, very good Thai food.

Sadly, the food won't be enough to lure me back there and I've switched loyalties for Waterloo-pub to the Fire Station.....
12 Nov 2008
This used to be easily my favourite pub in London. I'd go at least once a week for the great beer, friendly staff and thai food. Unfortunately a change in staff to the much ruder variety (notably the guy with the shaved head) means I have with sadness had to look elsewhere for my commuting pint
18 Oct 2008
Wonderful walk to the pub from Waterloo. Friendly crowd and staff.
10 Oct 2008
Great pub and setting, shame the bar staff charge variable prices for drinks!

25 Roupell Street, Waterloo, London, SE1 8TB