Kings Oak, Epping Forest

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
A decent enough watering hole bang in the middle of Epping Forest, at a location which has long been a day-trip destination for Eastenders and Suburban Essexites. The pub has a large, lushly green outdoors drinking area, with more outdoor seating at the front, opposite the main rambling sandy area that gives High Beach its name, and where there is also a shellfish stall and a snack bar and grill. The pub's own food menu looks more than passable, too, although we didn't sample anything. Unusually for a pub, the Kings Oak has a swimming pool. (A memory of a safety campaign far from here, warning of the dangers of drinking and swimming' advises, "Beer doesn't kill people, water does!", springs inevitably to mind.) The pub itself is reasonably spacious, with an attractive wood-beamed interior, a pool table tucked away in a corner, and a generally easy-going atmosphere. Disappointingly, the two hand pumps for real ale were both out of service when we visited. There is a fairly hectic calendar of entertainment: Saturday nights alternate between a live band and a karaoke evening (prizes for best and worst performers), and there are also frequent cabaret and comedy shows, some of which might just be in fairly questionable taste, we suspect. People evidently drive out here from miles around (there's a sizeable car park). Although it can possibly get a little too busy for comfort here at times (depending on when you arrive, this might mean families with kids, walkers or members of motor biking fraternities), there is a lot of space. While there may be a few points that irritate (an insistence on outdoor drinkers using plastic glasses', and the poor condition of some of the garden furniture), as edge-of-town Essex pubs go, there are far worse.
20 Jun 2010
Awful experience of their dining room. Went there for Father's Day and to celebrate my daughter's first birthday with my family. We were left waiting for food for 2 hours before we walked out hungry. My 83 year old father asked to see the manager and was ignored and the staff rolled their eyes when I complained. Given that I am 5 months pregnant, I was very upset and left in tears. I really don't recommend this pub for service or if you want to eat.

Paul's Nursery Road, Epping Forest, London, IG10 4AE
Opening times
Mon-Sat 11:00-23:00
Sun 11:00-22:30
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.