Leicester Arms, Piccadilly

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Now rebranded as a Taylor Walker pub, the Leicester Arms does its best to gleam and glitter and evoke the Victorian feel of pubs past. It does a fair job in this regard, but it's hardly one of London's untouched pub interiors. Overall, this is much of a muchness with all the other pubs around it: they all aim to be safe and unchallenging to tourists and shoppers from nearby Regent Street. It does have four real ales on tap, the selection isn't bad and the prices pretty good for these parts. The Leicester Arms is a bit safe, but as a result feels ever so slightly dull.
17 Jun 2012
Subject Matter: Leicester Arms, 44 Glasshouse Street, Piccadilly, London, W1B 5DP: Tel: 02035 824 568

‘We are delighted to welcome you at Taylor Walker and assure you of friendly service in a relaxing British pub with a welcoming atmosphere’

Dear Sir/Madam

With this disclaimer (above) on your website you would not have believed the disgusting standards at the Leicester Arms in London yesterday. As someone with years of experience running bars, clubs and hotels, with excellent customer experience levels, let me explain.

Yesterday, I was looking for a relaxing venue to sit down and do a bit of paperwork over a few lagers and have something nice to eat. I had been told of the Leicester Arms as a good pub in the area and so paid a visit mid-afternoon. The pub was pretty quiet but had around a dozen patrons in and around the bar.

Before purchasing a drink, I had to use the rest rooms and went downstairs but very nearly threw up with the dirty smell in the Gents. The toilets were absolutely filthy and did not look like they had been cleaned in weeks or months. I then after holding my nose, feeling very ill, journeyed back upstairs to order a lager. I asked for three different types of lager (that were on tap) and was told by a young eastern European sounding female member of staff, in a very condescending tone like she could not be bothered, “no, none of that”.

I asked why there were no lagers on tap and she said “no idea”. I then asked for the manager who said “why do you have an attitude problem?” I then very courteously advised of the issues with regards to having no lagers, the unhelpful bar staff, the dirty and dangerously dirty toilets (which will be reported immediately to colleagues in the HSE and the local council).

The manager, a very unhelpful scruffy male (again with a foreign sounding accent) advised he did not wish to talk to me anymore. At this point about a dozen customers (everyone in the pub) started talking to me, saying that they were so pleased I had raised these complaints and how disgusting the premises were, how unhelpful the staff were, and how they were just about to leave. There was a shout of “well done mate”. Just before a round of applause I then left the premises immediately thoroughly disgusted with a seemingly good public house in a nice part of Central London.

So, the question is: what are you going to do about the premises, the staff, and the general disgusting state of affairs in one of your key public houses? This end I will be visiting every website I can today to post this complaint.

Without malice