Marquis Cornwallis, Bloomsbury

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
Now that the Brunswick Shopping Centre has been relaunched as a centre for high-gloss retail, it's no surprise that this nearby pub - part of the cheap-as-chips world of the Goose chain - has had a makeover too. It's now one of Mitchells & Butlers unbranded pubs, which fits perfectly with how the Brunswick is marketing itself. The M&B ethic is in full effect here, with traditional ales (Spitfire, Timothy Taylor Landlord) and continental beers (Bellevue Kriek, Fruli, etc) sharing equal billing at the bar, and a mix of furnishings filling up both the ground floor and upstairs bars. All very friendly, all very unthreatening - it has to be when your nearby competition includes a Carluccio's - but its hardwood floors means this one can get pretty noisy when there's a crowd in. The pub has been an immediate hit with local workers (and shoppers), although there's still one or two of the old regulars in attendance. As the area also attracts a fair few of our American cousins, we'll intrigued to see if they'll be enticed to a pub named after a British commander in the American Revolutionary War...
20 May 2010
I find this place a bit too pretentious, specially the staff, they look like they dont need to work or be polite to you! The food is nice when you get it still warm, but it takes ages, and the wine (unless you get a bottle) its expensive and often poured until the last drop! I might have been unlucky but I got mud in my glass more than ones!! BUT The worst is the rudeness of some members of the staff.. I have been there few times and this guy (small, I think originally japanese) is always arguing with someone! if you go stay away from him!!
18 Apr 2010
the pub looks nice and I used to enjoy going there, but I had bad experiences with the wine (horrible, made me sick and I'm not a big drinker) and specially with the stuff attitude, very rude downstairs (better attitude upstairs) and over all I think the quality is not worth the price (could be if some member of the stuff was more polite...) food is mediocre..

since its the centre, my advice is walk a bit and go soho, covent garden etc..!!!!
11 Dec 2009
Group of 8 of us came in at 12:30 on Wed afternoon for lunch.

Big signs urged us to try the mulled wine or winter Pimm's. OK, mulled wine, please. "Didn't make it". OK, winter Pimm's please. "Didn't make it". OK, just a pint of London Pride. "Keg's empty". (No sign, by the way). OK, glass of overpriced cabernet. That they had -- and it was sour, undrinkable plonk.

Ordered sirloin steak, medium rare. Got an unidentifiable slab of rubbery meat, cooked well done. The pepper sauce that came with it was foul. Chips were decent, oddly enough.
28 Aug 2009
I had no problems in here when it was The Goose and none since it changed names. I just wanted to say it's a lovely pub with a decent choice of food and a great selection of beers. Staff are friendly and helpful.

Marchmont Street, Bloomsbury, London, WC1N 1AP