Master Gunner, Old Street

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
Young's turned this back into a traditional pub a few years ago after seemingly attempting to crack the All Bar One market with Finch's Bar. The Master Gunner, located near to the Honourable Artillery Company's HQ, certainly feels more like a pub now but manages to retain the mediocrity of its predecessor. To start with the positives, the service was excellent and the range of drinks comprehensive, though the prices did seem to be on the high side. Unfortunately, it just lacks character and the long narrow building is probably partly to blame - you'll struggle to find a cosy corner in this place. The one feature that stands out is the busy carpet, with a pattern that can't have been a best-seller since the 1970's.
10 Oct 2012
Really really bad pub. Staff were rude food was disgusting. Toilets were not properly looked after there was toilet paper all over he floor and broken glass! The place was obviously not been managed properly, I have Ben so disappointed by all the youngs pubs in the city I have visited.
05 Oct 2010
Just had a lunch here.

Dont expect cheese in your cheese and ham sandwich.

Dont expect your chip order to actually arrive.

Finally, dont expect a sausage sandwich to be a reasonably safe bet. No taste. Very congealed. Bread probably stale.
22 Dec 2009
I was very surprised that this was only a 2 pinter.

We used it as a mustering point for our Christmas do and was very pleasantly surprised.

The staff were friendly and did well considering how busy it was, the beer was good and it has a nice interior.

I could quite happily spend an evening there over a pint or several.
11 Jun 2009
right, no more searching for my office! Girls normally moaned about the pubs we went to at lunchtime and after work but no more. The Gunner had good music and plenty of vino for the girls and good beers for us fellas. Other customers seemed pleasent enough. Great standing outside with the tables and even had my essential pre-drinking cheeseburger delivered out there, result! See ya tomorrow.

12a Finsbury Square, Old Street, London, EC2A 1AN