Newton Arms, Holborn

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
It is somewhat strange to encounter a pub such as this such a short distance from Covent Garden and all its touristy splendour. This is, however, as close as you'll get to a local's pub in these parts. Indeed the atmosphere and décor were reminiscent of a council estate local. Outside it looks like an ugly concrete block, sitting askew underneath a taller concrete block and the interior is pretty basic, although the curved bar stool laden area was interesting. A hot plate promised lunchtime basics - sausage and chips and the like, while a couple of ales (inc Adnam's) were perfectly well kept. Students, older after work gents and what looked like locals mixed together just fine. All very competent, all very genial and a welcome change for the area.
06 Feb 2013
I am a regular. I like the pub and staff. I'm surprised about the previous comments and I can't condone that sort of behaviour.

It's a shame as its one of the few great locals in that area. Great for watching big foot games or a Friday night after work.

I had to edit this down as I kept getting the following message "Error:
You have used banned words in, please edit your review." Pretty useless when you don't know which words are banned. I honestly didn't say anything contentious!
14 Oct 2008
As a local I sometimes come here to watch football. I'm a 30 year old female, so I don't fit in with the regular "older-men" locals. However, I'll never go here again after popping in to watch the England vs Kazak game. The short bald barman/landlord (?) thought it appropriate to walk around like a monkey after Heskey missed a chance. I guess I didn't realise that open-racism was acceptable in central London establishments.

33 Newton Street, Holborn, London, WC2B 5EL