North Pole, Docklands

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
In response to our reviewer below - it may well be that standards have changed significantly - and whilst we can't visit every pub straight away we will make every effort to visit this one. Should anyone in the interim visit and confirm either our or "objective"'s opinion below we would be grateful! Thanks.
Quite simply, this is a top local a little off the beaten track on the Isle of Dogs in an area that's probably more than due for a massive redevelopment and expansion (fingers crossed, it won't happen anytime soon). We've known this pub for a few years now and the service is still polite, fast and friendly. It offers some fairly standard, but well-kept beers on the hand pumps - Pride, Black Sheep, etc. And everyone in the pub seems to know everyone else, but somehow they never seem to make you feel left out. An excellent preference to the unimaginative bardom in the dockside areas. Sadly, it's not open all the time - especially at weekends and, when we were in on a Saturday night, it was woefully empty. This one's definitely worth going out of your way for - go on, give it a go, you know you want to.
12 May 2014
I used to visit this pub regularly with work colleagues in 2006 when I was working in Canary wharf. We always enjoyed it as it wasn't full of Bankers, the beer was good quality and well priced and on the odd occasion that we eat there , the food was good and excellent value. I'm now back in Canary Wharf ( since Dec last year ) and regularly pop down there. I've been on cider recently :( since unfortunately bitter generally doesn't seem to agree with my digestive system for some reason at the moment :( , but the odd occasion I have had the Timmy Taylors Landlord it has been excellent . I have also had a couple of friends whom I went there with in 2006 visit it independently in the last 6 months and they have also confirmed it hasn't changed much - same friendly people behind the bar, same good quality beer, food and service.Decor is a bit rough and ready , but the seating is comfortable and it's not full of Canary Wharf suits.
The only thing that has changed since 2007 is that there are building works nearby which makes it even more difficult to find than it was before.
Much better than the Cat and Canary or All Bar One .....Prety much the only traditional pub in the Canary Wharf area as far as I can work out .
Definitely recommended if you can find it ( but don't tell the suits .... )

**** Update 20 May 2014 ******
As I mentioned in the original review there were a lot of building works going on around the pub. To be quite honest, everything within a couple of hundred metres of the pub had been razed to the ground.
Well I went back there today and as far as I understand it the pub will be shutting down for good on Fri 23 May 2014 ( presumably to be demolished ) . A real shame .....
01 Nov 2012
OK - not being quick to raise doubts about a place, so we've been back three times now. But after previous, very average visits during the week, we finally popped in on a Friday night. Still, little custom, and our expectations, though low by now, were sadly let down. We were served three pints of suds - no really, each glass was opaque and bubbled in front of us. I've been served dodgy pints before, but this was bottom of the barrel. OK, so obviously needs changing, but then the most extraordinary thing, the (well experienced, regular) barmaid said she'd need to get the landlord down before pouring us replacements . . ! She went to serve someone else in the quiet bar, perhaps to give a chance to consider our options. We took the opportunity to (discretely) photograph the drinks in front of us - it was THAT extraordinary. The whole thing was friendly, she wandered off to find the landlord . . . and then didn't. Returning, she asked if we were sure we didn't want the drinks, before (eventually) wandering off again. It was 12 mins between first being served, and replacement drinks arriving, all perfectly "friendly" but extraordinary. If anyone wants to see the photos of what a REALLY bad pint can look like, I'm happy to send the images. Please FaP, pop over to the Isle of Dogs soon, take a look around the local pubs and have a go at regrading where necessary. The North Pole really needs a long, hard look.
25 May 2009
Still friendly & good service and food, but if you like real ale, while they do stock 4 or 5, only the Timothy Taylor Landlord gets turned around fast enough to taste good, so avoid the others - ignore at your peril!

74 Manilla Street, Docklands, London, E14 8LG