Old Coffee House, Soho

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
A traditional looking pub, with loads of knickknacks hanging from the ceiling and pictures on the wall to impress the tourists - plenty of brewery mirrors in evidence, along with recruitment posters from the second World War and stuffed birds. It doesn't have that forced olde worlde look some places do, however, probably because it's looked like this forever. After work, it's packed with local workers, and although some stay and some go, providing a steady turnover of people and an atmosphere which manages to stay relaxed. Every so often a bunch of tourists wander into the place, but the pub takes them in its stride. Inexpensive food is available, plus a surprising compliment of five ales courtesy of Brodies Brewery in Leyton at £3 a pint. Ironic for somewhere which was once a Temperance movement coffee house, which hoped to lure people away from alcohol with promises of caffine. Service is prompt enough, but hardly effervescent, which is a bit of a shame as this pub would be a decent local anywhere (but is especially remarkable in Soho) and we'd hoped the guv'nor might feel the same way.
23 Oct 2013
I tried three bitters all of which taste awful. Another time I ordered a glass of wine and was served something that had clearly been open several days. When I asked for a replacement I was served something else that had also been open several days. Can't think why they don't invest in one of this pumps that takes the air out of the bottle overnight. Service in this encounter was shrugging indifference Lighting is that horrible bad pub orange. Overall one of huge worst pubs I've been into
23 Jun 2013
A good traditional boozer which has the flavour of the East End particularly given they serve Brodies beer which is a local brew. Tried a pint of Broken Dream which weighs in at 6.5% and is a porter style drink. Went down well but actually preferred pint of Bethnal Green, a more modest 4% and more to my palette. As with most Soho pubs, very eclectic mix of customers, which adds to the atmosphere!

49 Beak Street, Soho, London, W1F 9SF