Old Crown, Bloomsbury

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
The Old Crown is a dark and serious looking bar, situated away from the throng of Soho and Covent Garden. Outside lacks an obvious name, save for a wrought-iron crown and a small '33', presumably to help the postman, but we were assured it is indeed still the Old Crown. Assuming they didn't have problems finding a sign writer, it's certainly gives the place an edge of minimalist-cool. Inside, dark flock wallpaper line panels of the bar, behind which distressed exposed brickwork is highlighted by subtle lighting and bottles sit on shelves made from what appear to be old railway sleepers. The attractive curved leather bench seating is unfortunately better to look at than sit on, but both the staff and crowd make up for it by creating a relaxed atmosphere. Drinks wise, prices are at the upper end of average, but it was good to find a couple of well-kept ales along with a good spirit and cocktail list. The Old Crown may not be in an area short of pubs, but if you're hankering for something slightly more trendy (but still elegant), this might just be the place to go.
30 Dec 2012
The Whiskey Beast burger was fantastic!
06 Aug 2009
I couldn't agree more- what a great escape from the West End tourist traps. A decent pub, ideal for spending a friday or saturday evening after work. I work in Soho and when I want to escape the crowds and meet my mates this is my first choice. I'm also thinking of having a birthday party here, something really relaxed, there's no hire charge and its central.
07 May 2009
I love this pub, one of the best in the West End. In fact, I think I spend more time in here than I do at home or work. No wonder I might not ever get from being engaged to actually being married!

33 New Oxford Street, Bloomsbury, London, WC1A 1BH