Old Red Lion Theatre, Angel

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (7 reviews)
The ideal spot to sink your life savings in producing and premiering the play what you wrote - and then drown your sorrows on the proceeds of the handful of tickets you actually managed to sell. The little theatre upstairs probably seats no more than 50 but is a lively, vibrant venue. Some great stuff and some mind-blowing rubbish gets put on there. The whole place has a theatrical, arty air but it is also a first-class local boozer. So you'll find the bottle-nosed middle managers from the nearby offices necking it down at one end of the bar while actor wannabes giggle and shrill down the other - all interspersed with locals of all types enjoying the draft Pride, Broadside, Abbot, Leffe and Staropramen. The décor could come from a set-designer's template - that heavy old embossed wallpaper with generations of dull-red (for the walls) and essence of nicotine (for the ceiling) paint layers, comfortable benches running round, a scattering of tables and chairs and plenty of space for those who prefer to stand and bray at one another. Our fear is one day they'll probably gentrify this place - and the world will be poorer for it.
16 Feb 2014
Decided to stop by and watch the football on Saturday and try a pint, Spoke to a girl on the bar about what games were on and was pleasantly surprised, She listed off what was going on and even recommended her choice of pint 'Land Lord' really nice pint and good family feeling, Think he was her dad but then the Gov of this charming rough Diamond was chatting away to me and others at the counter about Music they have and best of all both of them went out of there way to stay thanks for coming when I was leaving! Good to see these Pubs and old school customers values are still available in the busy London.. Will be back for sure
14 Feb 2014
I've spoken to the landlord and he's assured me that this pub will never be gentrified. That's good enough for me. This pub is all about the people and the real ales. If you're a bit of a luvvy, you can tread the boards upstairs in the theatre.
14 Feb 2014
I've spoken to the landlord and he has advised me that it will never be gentrified. That's good enough for me. This place is about the people and the well kept ales. If you're a bit of a luvvy you can tread the boards upstairs in the theatre.
03 Feb 2014
Got to the Red Lion at the time it opens on Saturday lunchtime 1st Feb to be told that ourselves and about 30 others had to wait outside in the cold for 10 minutes, well it was 15 minutes. We went to watch the football on the big screen as advertised but unfortunately the picture on the screen was such bad quality that we then stuggled to watch it satisfactorily on the relatively small televisions. Ten minutes after kick off I went to the bar to get our second drink, it took myself and many others roughly half an hour to be served. When I did finally did get served I got not my second or third choice of beer but my fourth and to be honest if it wasn't for the fact that it had taken me so long to actually get served then I would have just walked away. The attitude of the Governor/Barman was awful and all he would say was it's busy because it's match day, well surely he knew that and should make provision ie a suitable amount of staff and beer. I will never be patronising the pub again or ever recommending it to anyone !
15 Mar 2012
Great local boozer with a warm feel to it. Love the big screen, great for football. The pub has 5 ales on tap and they're all well kept with 4 regular and a rotating guest ale along with a large selection of lager and other beverages. would recommend it to anyone in the area as its friendly and invinting wether you are a family or just a lonely soul looking for a quiet pint.
15 Oct 2009
An imposing building both inside and out but in need of some TLC. Very quiet at 1500 on a Monday. 4 regular beers and a guest were on offer, all reasonably priced for the area, were Abbot, London Pride, Landlord, Harvey's Sussex and Crop Circle was the guest.

418 St John Street, Angel, London, EC1V 4NJ

Report member
Landlord information

Detailed Description

THE OLD RED LION THEATRE PUB

"A first class local boozer"

OPENING HOURS

Friday - 12.00 - 01.00
Saturday - 12.00 - 01.00
Sunday - 12.00 - 11.00

CASK MARQUE APPROVED BEERS

RESERVE THE SNUG OR HAVING A PARTY?
Having a celebration, a special gathering or looking for an informal meeting space? Reserve our Snug for free. Call 020 7837 7816. We can hold up to 50 people in our very special Snug area, or we can reserve tables from 8-10 persons upwards. Hey, we're flexible and can do most things!

BIG SCREEN AT THE OLD RED LION
We love sport at the Old Red Lion and are proud of our great sporting, non-partisan atmosphere.

MONOPOLY PUB CRAWLERS WELCOME!
If you are thinking of doing the Monopoly Pub Crawl make sure you visit the Old Red Lion to cover the Angel square on the Monopoly Board! Follow the original route! Unfortunately Monopoly money is not accepted at the Bar!! Please drink responsibly on this pub crawl.

OLD RED LION BEER GARDEN - SMOKERS WELCOME!
Don't forget the Old Red Lion has a lovely beer Garden, a nicely secluded sunny spot to the rear of the Pub, where smoking is welcome. We have outdoor heating too and many lovely potted plants too.