Old Sergeant, Wandsworth

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
We looked on this one as you would a distant relation: you might not stop by to visit every week, but you'd be sure to pop in once in a while, secure in the knowledge of a warm welcome. Alas, all that's changed now. We could be polite and say that the newly redesigned Old Sergeant offers something new on Garratt Lane; or honest, and say that here's another inert gastropub makeover. Everything from the menu (written a chalkboard, with Lamb Shank at the top of the list) to the furnishings and clientele can be guessed before entering. No distinguishing features; none of the charm of the old place. Let's face it, gastropubs like this are now as unoriginal as an O'Neill's. And just as annoying when they replace fine old boozers like the old Old Sergeant. Sad.
07 Oct 2009
I have to agree with the review dated 6/5/2004, since I remember the pub before the change; it was a classic, cosy, local.

However, let's not get carried away. It is still a nice (albeit very different) pub, I find the ale consistently good, there are seats in the courtyard for smokers, and so on. Personally, I could do without the sports-TV nights, but you have to give and take.

104 Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4DJ