Pawleyne Arms, Penge

Our rating: FAP Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Another no-frills Penge boozer with the usual beers on tap and a bunch of locals glued to a telly in the corner. Not great then, but there are worse in the neighbourhood.
10 Aug 2014
The Pawleyne is a nice pub with wooden panelling, traditional carpeting, superb Guinness and great bar staff who know how to pull a pint. The internet jukebox is excellent and the landlord has ensured that it plays some great tunes from the 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s (no rap). The toilets have recently been refurbished as has the beer garden. The landlord also plans to get potted plants as well. There are some great characters in there (I may well be the "spiv" that Rob1951 has alluded to!). There's also a regular karaoke and reggae nights provided by Les Debolla, who treats his singers with respect, regardless of of their capabilities. I have found my fellow drinkers there to be friendly and they do not pre-judge you. Newcomers are made to feel welcome. I am pleased that the Pawleyne is now my local.
05 Aug 2014
Called in this pub (one of the few surviving in Penge) a few days ago, having been away from the area for about 3 years. What a horrible experience! Mostly noisy "neanderthals", a few brassy women, and one "spiv" in a suit who though he was better than anyone else! Was twice offered drugs by the local chavs; and as for the landlord - well rude isn't the word. I don't think he could string a sentence together without using an expletive! I certainly won't be going back!!

156 High St, Penge, London, SE20 7EU