Pride of Spitalfields, Spitalfields

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
The Pride of Spitalfields is a lovely old boozer just off Brick Lane. Formerly the Romford Arms, this place is warm and cosy with a pleasingly wooded interior, old pictures and hundreds of beer bottles lining the walls. The staff are friendly and offer up a good range of well-kept beers (Fullers, usually - and guests). It can get pretty crowded at night with punters drawn from all shades of East End society - old Cockneys, Bangladeshi restaurant staff and artsy types - but it's all very friendly and harmonious. Away from weekend nights its less busy and consequently rather more relaxing, but either way it's definitely worth a visit whenever you're passing. If only the real world was more like this.
02 Mar 2012
Good friendly pub. Contains some nuts. Beer at reasonable prices. Great music on Mondays.
20 Dec 2010
Please don't let one idiot (probably had one too many) put you off this great pub.
16 Mar 2010
I'd always liked this pub, and being the closest pub to my house I've had more than my fair share of pints in there, but a couple of times I've been in recently I've heard things from the patrons which changed my mind.

On Sunday, I left half a pint and left after the comments from one chap. It was busy on Brick Lane and I commneted on this. The guy started being racist about the 'non-white' locals, banging on about the BNP and how it's like a zoo around here, much to the amusement of some other locals.

I know pubs are places of banter where people go to put the world to rights, but to hear open racism in a pub in one the most historic multicultural areas of London annoyed me so much. Do we really have to put up with racist nonsense just for commenting how busy it is?

I've had my last pint there.

3 Heneage Street, Spitalfields, London, E1 5LJ